What kind of koi is the one on Capewind's Avatar??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been trying to find out what kind of koi these ( I have 2) are, but can never described them until now....they look just like the one on capewind's avatar, does anyone know what kind of koi that is? :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what it looks like, his av

upload_2016-9-11_20-52-44.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
addy1, thanks for posting the pic! I didn't even think about it, I just assumed you guys all know one another:D

Anyways, my koi have the very same back as that fish!
On one of the 2, the line of dark scales is wider and even the scales are very large the body is lighter too, but the other one looks just like that fish in that pic, blue and all...I would like to know if it has a specific name so I can search for one if (knock on wood) something happens that I lose the ones I have

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
addy1, thanks for posting the pic! I didn't even think about it, I just assumed you guys all know one another:D

Anyways, my koi have the very same back as that fish!
On one of the 2, the line of dark scales is wider and even the scales are very large the body is lighter too, but the other one looks just like that fish in that pic, blue and all...I would like to know if it has a specific name so I can search for one if (knock on wood) something happens that I lose the ones I have
Gemma they are known asDoitsu or German scaled koi Gemma our oldest koi is a doitsu but orangy brown in color they come in quite a few differing colors and are normally bought in garden centre's
This was our first ever koi before we discovered koi dealerships and is now 30 years old .

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

lol I know the av when I see it, but to remember what each person uses..............nope

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma they are known asDoitsu or German scaled koi Gemma our oldest koi is a doitsu but orangy brown in color they come in quite a few differing colors and are normally bought in garden centre's
This was our first ever koi before we discovered koi dealerships and is now 30 years old .

Dave
"30 years old"? Wow! I can see you know what you're doing!
Thanks for answering my question, I kinda figured you would! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lol I know the av when I see it, but to remember what each person uses..............nope

I recognize about 6 or 7 ...still confuse Dave 54's with Sissy's...but don't tell'em!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi dave wb Sir
yes its doitsu in structural classification but Doitsu is a category , its not any specific type , there can be kohaku doitsu , showa doitsu and so on ,for every type which ever have large few scale on top and like butterfly can have different sub catergory , on bases of colour they are further more divided , what i see close enuf to gemas profile pic and the pic addy posted are Kin Kikokuryu , Matsuba Doitsu gogle image these names

Language of Koi – Kikokuryu (Kee ko ku roo) - POND Trade Magazine
http://www.pondtrademag.com/language-of-koi-kikokuryu-kee-ko-ku-roo/

doitsu Koi.com - Reference
http://www.koi.com/reference/encyclopedia/doitsu.php

Gema :I recognize about 6 or 7 ...still confuse Dave 54's with Sissy's...but don't tell'em!:D
@ lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Basically these are just koi bred for the garden centre trade they are nothing special just coloured ghost koi they are started koi for many koi keepers who then discover the koi trade and learn from there the 12 different classifications of koi

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gemma I follow Capewind on Face Book. She said it is a Shusui. You can't tell from her avatar pic, but it has red below the lateral line, so what you're seeing is the top view, minus the red color. She said the red isn't pronounced and is more of an orange-pink.

image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a small Shusui, I would've never have guessed that's what it was!
...and how nice of you to go out of your way to help me (((hugs))):)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Curious to see ur fishes gema add some in ur profile ) , i read shusui is doitsu of asaghi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Curious to see ur fishes gema add some in ur profile ) , i read shusui is doitsu of asaghi
Yes I believe Shusui are the scaleless Asaghi!
I would love to post my fish, and I will hopefully soon, but I have to warn you, most are very small cause I exchanged most of my largest koi for babies this Spring
These are my babies that I plan on keeping now that my pond is larger:
1Sanke
1 Shusui butterfly
1 Gin Rin Yamabuki Ogon butterfly
1 Matsuba
1 Kikusui
1 Hariwake butterfly
2 imported Japanese (probably Japanese mutts)
2 Domestic (the 2 I started this thread about) one of them is a butterfly
2 Shubunkin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Yes I believe Shusui are the scaleless Asaghi!
I would love to post my fish, and I will hopefully soon, but I have to warn you, most are very small cause I exchanged most of my largest koi for babies this Spring
These are my babies that I plan on keeping now that my pond is larger:
1Sanke
1 Shusui butterfly
1 Gin Rin Yamabuki Ogon butterfly
1 Matsuba
1 Kikusui
1 Hariwake butterfly
2 imported Japanese (probably Japanese mutts)
2 Domestic (the 2 I started this thread about) one of them is a butterfly
2 Shubunkin

how were u able to give ur old fishes , must be sad moment , were they not good breed ,patern or space issue?
thats good list some unique ones , no problem i have not that big koi either just few are big , rest are small i want to collect good rare ones pattern and breed, some species are realy impossible to get here , its just luck bcz they are few and if they even come they are sold and some specieies i havent seen yet .
I managed to get
shiro beko ,
shiro utsiri ,
3 step red white kohaku ,
one is i dont know its name , its yellow some gin rin with grey patches butterfly
one is unkown too its a kohaku in colour deep red white but its patern r like bands stripes of utsiri , im yet to see on google like that so im confused what it is

others r more common
i think metalic yellow kin Kikokuryu kind of ghost koi bf
matsuba platinum butterfly ,
tanchu sanke butterfly
showa

sarasa ,shub comets , one blue line shark for cleaning pond lol
chiclids in aquarium

im searching for my dream kois , hi and ki utsuri they are breath taking specialy yellow black .... , blue ashagi , goromo , goshiki these too are stunning too , and perfect ginrin looks like jewel , Hariwake yellow on white.

do google images for terms ,,, atleast we r learning japanese this way lol

il post pics soon of mine too , yet to get good shots

Hold ur breath

Last edited:

Ask a Question