What kind of koi is this?

Reaction score
Accidental baby fish last year. Two others disappeared and this is what's left. Please excuse the debris! It's in the 300 gallon shubunkin tank and I scraped up debris netting him out.

The orange looks like the orange on my Metallic Ochiba. I have a Goromo. Could this be the result of those two? Any ideas? What is with those spots? I hope they stay.

DSCF4348.JPG

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you only had those two koi in your pond with out a doubt it is a result of those two. Those “spots“ on its back mainly in the gray are just its individual scales highlighted by the light and dark colors. It’s what is called a “mutt”, but to me koi mutts are some of the coolest looking fish in my pond. I could careless about maintaining color integrity of the certain types/breeds of Koi.

Nice looking fish..... I had a Hariwake that was predominantly orange with highlighted scales with white edges over its entire body, One of the coolest looking fish I had. Until it became a heron snack.

Reaction score
Oh. Just a mutt. Okay then.

There are other koi in my pond and only koi, no other fish. Shubunkins have their own tank. I put the baby koi in the Shubunkin tank where I could catch it. Hard to catch a tiny fish in a 6,000 gallon pond.

Your Hariwake sounds awesome. What a shame a heron got it.

When zoomed in on the photos of the baby koi, you can see the dark areas begin at the base of the scales and what you call gray is a very pretty blue in real life. There were no spots at all last year so this is a developing thing. I sure hope the spots and pretty blue stay. I have a home-spawned Shusui born in 2009 that is still a beautiful shade of light blue.

This is my orange Hariwake but the orange on the baby looks more like the orange on my Metallic Ochiba.

In any case, it will be fun watching what turns out from this "happy accident."

upload.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All fish change color and you never know what you will end up with .I have ones that start out black and some have stayed black and others have 3 or 4 different colors on them and all started out black

Reaction score
All fish change color and you never know what you will end up with .I have ones that start out black and some have stayed black and others have 3 or 4 different colors on them and all started out black

Do you mean goldfish or koi or both? I've had black come and red go but that's mostly it for the koi. Now for goldfish and shubunkins, you never know with them.

Reaction score
That's an interesting looking koi bottom pic, center, Sissy. I like the red on top and the white tips on the fins.

Ask a Question