What kind of netting can I use?

Reaction score
Hi all. I am wanting to get some kind of flexible net or netting to cover my pond with at night. So that the big herons and other fish eating birds can't get to my fish before I wake up in the morning and go out there. During the day, there are many people coming and going and I have noticed over the years that those birds are real skittish. As soon as they see people, or a dog, they run for it and they won't come back until they feel it is safe.

So I think that during the day, due to the high amount of people traffic at my house, they will stay away. But they have a window of time in the morning where they could get my fish. It's from 6 am to about 8 am. I live with my granparents and they run a small business on their land where we live. It has somewhere around 10 employees, who walk by the pond at random intervals all day long. The birds would be scared and hate that, so I can leave the net off during the day.

So is there some kind of netting that I can use that my fish can't get stuck in, if they should jump? I would hate for them to get caught by the gills, so the net needs to have very small holes. I think that the net would also need to be a little sun resistant. I might need to leave it on there for extended periods sometimes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would one of those automatic motion detection impact sprinklers work?
They hit the bird with a blast of water as soon as it senses them.

They make fine bird netting, (home depot and lowes) it has small holes, used to protect fruit trees, it is black and hard to see. Not too expensive.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

This is not what i am thinking of, but it might work. The bird netting is very light weight with small holes.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Home Depot fencing and PVC. Use tie wraps to secure it.

Attachments

• June 2010 netting and bridge.jpg
    June 2010 netting and bridge.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 351
Reaction score
Would y'all say that this is the most commonly used method against birds? I have heard of people using fishing line, but I really don't see how that could be a deterrent. Plus I like to walk around my pond. Difficult to do that if you are trying to step over all this fishing line.

Reaction score
Would y'all say that this is the most commonly used method against birds? I have heard of people using fishing line, but I really don't see how that could be a deterrent. Plus I like to walk around my pond. Difficult to do that if you are trying to step over all this fishing line.

Reaction score
Folks with fishing line zig zag it across the top to prevent a bird from landing. The feeling is that the fishing line still makes it easy for humans to see in.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
and fishing line is elevated .. you can go 8' or higher if you'd like for birds that dive attack or want to land in the pond...you want to have the lines close enough together so atleast their wing(s) will hit the line...the theory is they wont or cant see the line and will get spooked at least, or tangled up . i saw a show with a guy who had a narrow back yard who did his hole yard about 10' high or more....never lost a fish!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
and fishing line is elevated .. you can go 8' or higher if you'd like for birds that dive attack or want to land in the pond...you want to have the lines close enough together so atleast their wing(s) will hit the line...the theory is they wont or cant see the line and will get spooked at least, or tangled up . i saw a show with a guy who had a narrow back yard who did his hole yard about 10' high or more....never lost a fish!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The problem with that is the structure and hiding it. I can lift my frames off in less than a minute and there are no remaining structures to see when viewing my ponds. I tried using that method for over a year and I found they were always in the way when I needed to work on the pond.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The problem with that is the structure and hiding it. I can lift my frames off in less than a minute and there are no remaining structures to see when viewing my ponds. I tried using that method for over a year and I found they were always in the way when I needed to work on the pond.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
A sail from a sailboat could work,great shade to........or plastic chicken wire,comes in a HUGE roll

Attachments

• plasticchickenwire.jpg
    plasticchickenwire.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 339

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
A sail from a sailboat could work,great shade to........or plastic chicken wire,comes in a HUGE roll

Ask a Question