What kind of rat is this? [warning: graphic image]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last night and this morning, Hubby and I were hearing something in the attic that literally sounded like bowling! I went up with son a little while ago to investigate [we've had problems in the past with rats]. We heard a very faint sound and the only thing I could imagine was that it was the sound of hot water heater noise, but it was coming from the wrong place. Anyway, traced it to one of my traps, and......there was a rat in it, but it wasn't dead yet, just raspy breathing.

Oh, how I hate for anything to suffer [even vermin], but instead of killing it outright, we decided to walk away, let it die, then go back later today to retrieve the body. So, what we were hearing during the night was the rat's thrashing around above us, trying to get out of the trap.:notworthy:

Sorry, you can't see its head.........but any idea what kind of rat it is? It looks a little larger and darker than the ones we normally find, and it has those longer, dark hairs. The "usual" rats are more light brown with white bellies [no, I didn't look at this ones belly, at least not yet] and light colored tails. They're almost kinda cute. IDK, but this guy looks almost sinister.......:vamp:

image.jpg

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
A roof rat.

From Orkin.com
"Roof rats, sometimes called black rats, are superb climbers that tend to nest above ground. In the wild, roof rats inhabit shrubs, trees and dense vegetation. In domestic environments, they seek out secure, elevated places such as attics, walls, sheetrock ceilings and cabinets. They may enter homes through trees close to windows or eaves. As opposed to the Norway rat, roof rats tend to limit their geographical range to warmer climates often along the coast."

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Big Lou Thank you! Too bad our 5 members of the Felis catis family are spoiled, indoor cats. Rattus rattus and Felis catis just sound so, so......made for a cartoon, LOL!

I found this:

image.jpg

and it will be interesting to check out the muzzle and ears once this guy in the attic is dead and we can dispose of him [it looks like a "him"].

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
looks like the wood rats I had in my barn

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Still haven't had a chance to examine it. I can say that it's about the largest one I've seen around here -- when I first saw it in the trap, thought it was a small squirrel!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So glad we don't have rats, that is a huge one.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That rat still had some fight in him! Went in the attic this morning and couldn't find him.....or the trap (I have a string tied to a clothes pin, tied to the trap just for this reason....). He had flipped over a piece of frame and into the insulation. I wanted to be sure he was dead before I picked up the trap (I don't like surprises!) -- he was.

Got him downstairs and out of the trap, measured him, etc., and it does fit for a roof rat -- we've not had these before.

I don't like this trap, a Tom Cat trap. All it appears to have done is smash the rat's head in where it clamped down, but didn't kill it outright (big rat), and I know the poor thing suffered..... Going back to the old reliable Victor snap traps.
image.jpg

Warning: thumbnails contain graphic pictures....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg