What Kind Of Salt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What is the best salt for a koi pond? I was told the solar water softener salt was the best, Morton's blue bag. But then someone else told me it was toxic. Help Please

Thank You

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally as a long time koi keeper I only ever use salt in a QT fasility nowhere else koi are fresh water fish and not marine.
I'm not saying salt isnt good for them because it is if your treating with salt .
Personally we go to the supermarket along the isle that has herbs etc till you get to the salt section you'll see table salt and cooking salt , this is the salt to use never use table salt as it has impurities in it .
They do cooking salt in 1kg and 3kg amounts the 3kg is best value for mony at 49 p here in the UK ,it must be as cheap where you are as it is in the UK .

rgrds

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
LibraKoi said:
What is the best salt for a koi pond? I was told the solar water softener salt was the best, Morton's blue bag. But then someone else told me it was toxic. Help Please

Thank You

It would be interesting to read what they would believe would be toxic in it.

And, yep, I agree with Dave.

Also, be sure to read, is salt healthy for a pond?.

If you still want to do it, then go to your local hardware store for a salt that is something like, this product Diamond Crystal, 40lb bag, $5.

Don't worry about the salt having Iodide. Iodide is not harmful. Iodine is what is harmful. This is much like the major difference between chloride and chlorine, that is chloride is not harmful and chlorine is harmful.

To help you better choose a salt, then here are a few criteria points :
  1. Choose the salt that is above 98% pure, you will never find 100% pure since there are always other contaminants found in salt
  2. Be sure it has zero rust inhibitors
  3. Smaller the salt granules then the better to help it dissolve faster. Bigger coarse granules can sometimes take a very long time to dissolve. Also, the much bigger granules typically have a clumping agent in them. You do not want any clumping agent additives.
  4. Be sure it has zero yellow prussiate of soda (abbreviated as YPS and also known as Sodium Ferrocyanide)
  5. Be sure it has zero stain inhibitors (also known as Sodium Hexametaphosphate)

Ask a Question