What kind of stone

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
A friend in south Alabama found the pictured and small like stones in the woods behind her home. Note the sea shell. I am trying to help her determine their type. She is in close proximatity to very large rivers which empty into saltwater Mobile Bay. She lives approximately 75 miles from that bay and approximately 95 miles from the nearest long stretch of beach. Btw, the river banks in south Alabama are home to mussels. Bull sharks do swim far up into the river systems. The stone can be moved by two men but is still very heavy.

Guess away!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry, Lou, but I couldn't get the pictures at first. Now I can! Agree with Mitch. Don't forget that the whole area you're talking about was once the floor of an ocean!
John

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have 2 large rocks like that the biggest is really dence I would guess around 500 lbs ... I know it's old sea floor and I found them at a quarry not too far from my house

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very cool rock. I find it extremely interesting to think of what our landscapes looked like long before our time.

Here in Utah driving through the center of the state running N and S on I-15 you stay at an elevation of 4000-6000 feet above sea level in a high desert climate. Yet many many moons ago it was a rain forest complete with volcano's! You can still see all the volcano's as you drive by and volcanic rock litters the valley floors.

Utah is a prime location to find dinosaur bones. I imagine the dinosaurs loved the tropical paradise this once was.

How things have changed!

Ask a Question