What kind of surround to dress up stock tank?

Reaction score
So I "pulled the trigger" and got a 6 foot diameter stock tank 2 foot deep for my watergarden/pond. I want to dress it up to not LOOK like a stock tank. I would like to (of course), do these as cheap as possible without it LOOKING cheap. :twocents:
I have thought of paint, but that isn't my first choice. Another choice is tile? But would it stick, and that could get pricey. Next would be the landscape retaining wall rocks, but that might be a little too pricey too.
Then of course building some type of wooden structure, but then I'd have to figure out how to dress THAT up :yikesu:
What do ya'll suggest?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could partly bury it, and use the dirt dug out to build up dirt/rock walls around it. Plant the dirt with some nice plants. That would also help keep the temperature more stable.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
then you could put the plants in nice plant pots .I found some plastic ones at lowes that look like giant seashells

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
You should try and post pictures of what you are working with, that makes it a lot easier for us to give you ideas...

Off-hand, if you plan on having this permanently in that location on your porch, I would suggest checking freecycle or craigslist for someone getting rid of an old cedar picket fence. Cut these boards down to about 28" tall so they are taller than your pond, and build a solid fence around the pond up to the walls (with at least a couple inches of gap between the pond and the fence). Then find someone giving away fill-dirt, and fill in the fenced-in area around your pond, leaving the dirt a couple inches below the top of the pond. You now have a completely enclosed area around your pond that can be topped off with some good quality potting soil, and you can grow various plants all the way around the pond that will cover up the edges of the stock tank. If you are good at scrounging materials, you shouldn't have to pay for anything but the potting soil.

Reaction score
IMO you can't improve the look of a galvanized stock tank. But if yours is plastic, yeah, hiding is a good idea.

Cheapest and easiest I'd say is landscape timbers run vertically. About $2 per 8' piece. You can staple or nail wire to the back of them to keep them in place. Most garden centers will sell this same basic idea as edging, but it's only 6" tall or so. But if you check it out you'll get the idea on building your own. Consider varying the height too for a more interesting look. You can also use plant stake timbers. If you know a landscaper they'd give you the tops of busted stakes. Old railroad ties can work too. Shopping on Craig's List can turn up all kinds of choices.

You could also use bamboo if you have a cheap source.

The cheapest, coolest, but harder method is to use good old sticks from the yard or woods. You can twist wire around them to keep them together. It's harder because they vary so, and they have to be gathered, but the result can be very impressive.

After than any kind of scrap wood could work depending on how artistic you are.

Tile would not stick to a metal or plastic tank for very long. You can build an apron using metal studs and cement board and then apply tile to the cement board. This is how many outdoor BBQs are built. About $50-75 for the studs and board, plus tile. The look could be good, but really tough to do well.

You can dry stack flat rock around the tank but it uses a lot of space and doesn't look that great imo. You can mortar rock around the tank, not to the tank. Basically building a free standing rock wall around the tank. It would use a lot of space, if too thin it might not last very long. If you've never mortared rock before it's pretty easy. Easier than it seems.

Hope you can post pictures of whatever you do.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of above ground pond ideas on you tube from the cheap and easy to elaborate to and expensive .Just type in above ground ponds and some are listed as patio ponds and deck ponds .

Reaction score
Sorry about the double post! I would do this if my husband would do the wood work for me:)

Attachments

• watergarden4.jpg
    watergarden4.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,434

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's a nice idea okiee! Maybe he will do it for your birthday,anniversary or Christmas?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats really not as hard as you think all it is is an over sized planter and so simple to make and I have made several for friends and this is one took a pic of in AC

Attachments

• nj2011 175.JPG
    nj2011 175.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 552

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looking cute w/ the plant in there now. I bet you could just stick some plants on the outside of that tank in pots all around it to dress it up nicely. A little palm,ferns, grasses etc.

Ask a Question