What kind of tubing for external pump to airstone in winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Im still not sure yet if Im going with an external pump that pumps air to the stone from outside the pond or the Little Giant pump that goes in the pond (waiting on a review from someone on here regarding the LG). Im concerned about condensation building up in the tubing that goes from the pump to the stone if I go with the external pump. I found some insulated hose made for RV's that is incredibly expensive which Im definitely not buying. I was wondering if there is a company that makes insulated tubing thats reasonably priced. I need two pieces about 25ft long. Does anybody have an issue with tubing collecting condensation causing the pump to quit working during the winter months? Just want to ensure I do this right

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I like to use silicone on anything underwater. Extremely durable and flexible.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
By the way my airstone is a solar powered one and I use silicone tubing for it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our winters are rarely cold enough, but I have thought about freezing and condensation. What I planned to do is encase my tubing (from the pump) in pipe insulation. It would be an experiment if needed, but so far I've made it through 3 winters w/out a problem.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Our winters are rarely cold enough, but I have thought about freezing and condensation. What I planned to do is encase my tubing (from the pump) in pipe insulation. It would be an experiment if needed, but so far I've made it through 3 winters w/out a problem.
My winter is about the same. It basically rains in winter here and that about it besides the very rare snow flurry

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I do not use an airpump during the winter because of water condensation freezing and plugging the airline, plus the air bubble stream will freeze over, no matter how strong the airflow.
It depends on your climate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use regular airline tubing for aquariums and have done so for the last two winters (which have been very cold and snowy) I had absolutely no issues with the air lines or the air pumps at all.

I also use a floating pond heater/de-icer in the same area as the air stones and my pond has a decent size opening in the water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use regular airline tubing for aquariums and have done so for the last two winters (which have been very cold and snowy) I had absolutely no issues with the air lines or the air pumps at all.

I also use a floating pond heater/de-icer in the same area as the air stones and my pond has a decent size opening in the water.
Same here except I don't need the heater. My tubing is plain old aquarium tubing and no problems so far.

Reaction score
Same here just regular tubing that came with it. One thing though is that when it snows a lot say a foot or two at once the bubbles aren't enough to keep the holes open.

Ask a Question