What koi colors can one expect from certain parents?

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I am asking this specifically trying to find out when Two Parents, both Platinum long fin koi spawn, what should I expect? Can there be koi of other colors? What percentage would you guess would be long fin? I am really trying to find out any info out there regarding genetic traits the pass on or the lack there of. Any thoughts welcome.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would guess you would get a fare share of platinum in a one on one spawn
and some other mixes

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, my experience is my Sanke and Kohaku are producing a lot more offspring that do not resemble them than those that do. Unfortunatley, because I have to adopt out mine before the colors come in, it is really hard to tell the percentage of each.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Thanks. I have someone that has a lot of fry from 2 platinum long fin koi and the parents are beautiful. I want to get a bunch of them and really like the platinum color but I obviously don't want that to be the only color of koi in there. I have a few gold fish in there now but will be removing them to put the fry in. I am still trying to secure some more fry from another source but haven't had good luck so far.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you can get a few of the platinum fry it would be a great start

Ask a Question