What koi food are u guys using?

Reaction score
just curious on What koi food are u guys using?
im using aqua master growth(small pellets) but its kinda costly.:(
anyone know something similar to AM growth w/ same growth rate and less price?? ;)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
For quality food and good pricing Blackwater creek and Dr. Fosters and Smith's brand are both decent quality for the price. I want ever go back to using tetra, for every once of food fed, a Koi expels about 1/2 oz of waste. I started using kenzen a couple of years ago because the waste to intake ratio was 5 to 1. That's pretty good, but the food is not cheap. This spring I swapped to JPD. I got it from fosters and Smith. and it's a in between cost and been reported but not documented that the intake to waste is about 3-4 to one. I've seen excellent growth, great color, and far less waste and I'm really impressed with the results so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Queni Japanese mix and Queni Ultimate koi foods made in Holland for Queni Kooi of Liester in the UK , after a friend rescomended them to me I must admit I'm seeing even better lustre in our koi and the HI is much more intense this year than last.
They have a very friendly staff and next day delievery for free on all foods 5 kg and above in weight.
There is nothing in the way of waste and the water is crystal clear even after feeding
The japanese mix is a specially formulated mix and the Ultimate is high in Protien at 51% for growth.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
For quality food and good pricing Blackwater creek and Dr. Fosters and Smith's brand are both decent quality for the price. I want ever go back to using tetra, for every once of food fed, a Koi expels about 1/2 oz of waste. I started using kenzen a couple of years ago because the waste to intake ratio was 5 to 1. That's pretty good, but the food is not cheap. This spring I swapped to JPD. I got it from fosters and Smith. and it's a in between cost and been reported but not documented that the intake to waste is about 3-4 to one. I've seen excellent growth, great color, and far less waste and I'm really impressed with the results so far.
Yes I have to agree with you there Larkin we learned that very early on Tetra is somewhat as you put it .
Hikari was another high in waste that we no longer use , the Queni koi food we are using now leave very little residue and koi food production in Holland is second to non .
We can no longer get the specialized Japanese food from Japan as the EU has a blanket ban of some of the ingrediants the Japanses use which is a shame because the results we used to achieve with threir foods where quite simply stunning to say the very least :cool:(y).....it cost the extra but was worth the cost .
Queni seems to be mimicing the results we'd get from Japan ;)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

I'm about a week into using Kenzen food, after reading tons of good things about it on the internet, and my fish don't seem to like it all that much. I mean, they eat it, but they don't go after it nearly as vigorously as they did the cheap Tetra food I bought at Lowes. I was wondering if you had any similar experiences? Their website says that less food is needed, so I thought maybe they're just fuller with this food. However, I threw in a bit of the Tetra food right after a small Kenzen feeding, and they gobbled up the Tetra food far faster than the Kenzen from a few seconds prior.

Reaction score
they don't go after it nearly as vigorously as they did the cheap Tetra food I bought at Lowes.

Maybe they are like people... I will gobble up unhealthy pizza but when you put a healthy plate of raw vegetables in front of me, im not in any hurry... and that is a totally unscientific reason for what is happening!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Maybe they are like people... I will gobble up unhealthy pizza but when you put a healthy plate of raw vegetables in front of me, im not in any hurry... and that is a totally unscientific reason for what is happening!

Scientific or not, I like that reasoning! Maybe I'll keep some of the "junkfood" around for when people come over and want to see the fish. LOL

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That is exactly what is going on. If you grow up loving and eating McDonalds and someone all of a sudden served you a Veggie burger, would you really want it over a good old fashion BigMac. Same thing happens with fish food. So if your going to uuse good food, try good food treats. Orange pulp, lemon pulp, water melon, dew melon, cantaloupe ( all with seeds removed) Krill, silk worms, etc are great treats that can help give koi vitamins, are great for the digestive tract, and are extremely healthy for your Koi, and they like it too, As for Kenzen, I recommend feeding it for one season. the first month they are still adapting to it. By the second month you should start seeing better muscle tone, increased growth rate, clearer water and better water quality overall. By month three and four skin color should start showing more improvement, and by this point they are used to the food and will be eagerly accepting it. My biggest problem with Kenzen, It's to darn high to feed to 100 Koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
That is exactly what is going on. If you grow up loving and eating McDonalds and someone all of a sudden served you a Veggie burger, would you really want it over a good old fashion BigMac. Same thing happens with fish food. So if your going to uuse good food, try good food treats. Orange pulp, lemon pulp, water melon, dew melon, cantaloupe ( all with seeds removed) Krill, silk worms, etc are great treats that can help give koi vitamins, are great for the digestive tract, and are extremely healthy for your Koi, and they like it too, As for Kenzen, I recommend feeding it for one season. the first month they are still adapting to it. By the second month you should start seeing better muscle tone, increased growth rate, clearer water and better water quality overall. By month three and four skin color should start showing more improvement, and by this point they are used to the food and will be eagerly accepting it. My biggest problem with Kenzen, It's to darn high to feed to 100 Koi.

How often do you feed fruit and other treats?

Why do you only recommend feeding Kenzen for one season? Is it just the high price? I only have five koi, so that is much less of a concern for me. If I had a hundred, there's no way I'd have considered Kenzen at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Max we are using Queni koi Japanses mix and Queni koi Ultimate which is a high protien feed at 51% protien
As to your treats and how often do you feed etc we did an in depth study into alternate foods for koi and goldfish some years ago now
Have a good read and digest its contents for future feeds that are alternate to koi pellets but just as good as :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/a-look-at-alternate-foods-for-your-koi-and-goldfish.10500/

It gets better Max I remembered that we updated this list to add vitamins protiens etc

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/updated-alternate-food-for-koi-and-goldfish.14217/

Hope you have endless hours of fun watching them eat the alternates

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question