What koi food do you recommend?

Reaction score
It seems that the market is flooded these days with a multitude of koi food manufacturers.

I've used the Legacy brand in the past - but not so sure it is the best choice for the fish.

What is the overall consensus for a good, quality-ingredient based koi food (spring/fall and summer blends)?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
spring/fall Hai Feng Quick Grow
Depending on what you want in growth depend on summer foods

Reaction score
My fish have really taken to eating earthworms, grubs and meal worms to supplement their dry Koi food diet. I hope these are all okay. Does anyone have experience with these foods and how often you should offer this to them? Fyi it is very entertaining watching a 7inch Koi with a 7 inch night crawler in his mouth. Talk about a game of keep away with 3 inches hanging out of its mouth. After that I started cutting the worms in halfs to thirds.

Reaction score
I love watching fish eating what they normally do in nature. We work hard to replicate their natural environment and adding live food is icing on the cake. As to your question, earth worms, grubs and other insects are great for your fish, varying their diet is important to good coloration and healthy fish. Keep up the dry food though, they contain a lot of good stuff your fish can't get from just insects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I feed Tomigai foods year round as well as Hikari sinking wheat germ for some smaller fish in the pond.

Ask a Question