What maintance do i need to do to my bog filter...

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have a rather large bog filter,,it measures 10 ft by 4 ft wide x 3 ft deep. i installed 2" pvc as a manifold under 4 tons of peagravel.i have the 2" pvc divided into a 3 way split under the gravel with cleanouts extending 2 ft above the peagravel with caped off cleanouts...ive notice the peagravel is getting looks like fish waste on the surface of the gravel...do i leave it there or do i clean it out from the snorkles???

Attachments

• Bog filter.jpg
    Bog filter.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen some bogs decades old with that very sediment left on top. If you can remove it why not . the idea behind the bog if for the plants to get nutrients from the water more so then soils or silt

Reaction score
Country
United States
here`s my bog and snorkles

Attachments

• IMG_0046 (1).jpg
    IMG_0046 (1).jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd probably try to remove it. How old is the bog? How often do you exercise the clean outs? I'm not sure that's really going to do much if the problem is a slow accumulation of silt over time. The type of clean out you have is more for preventing clogs in the distribution piping. Around here, "snorkel" usually means a large pipe—12" or wider that you would drop a pump into during a backflush.

Ask a Question