what might they be doing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
I have a couple of my fish doing something a bit odd. due to the way I designed my pond I have fairly high sides that go above the water level, to protect the exposed liner I used the roll a rock stuff to cover all the liner out of the water, this has created one area along a long wall that is like a flap that is like a cave of sorts. the 2 fish in question are getting up inside this flap and just sitting there, some times they both get in there like one on top of the other and other times one is not visible at all but I can see the tail of the other. then other times just one is in there with just it's tail showing and the other one is beside it like a guard or something.
Is it possible they are protecting eggs

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put pvc edging over the side of my pond and fish hide under it .The babies have a hiding spot so they don't get eaten

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
pretty much the same ideas I had, just not sure why they started doing it now
they seem perfectly fine and come out and swim around like everyone else
they sit under there even once the sun has passed over enough that the pond is shaded completely
I'm sure it's OK just seemed odd as its the biggest fish we have and a black and white Koi we call the storm trooper
and not any of the others

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
here is a shot when he was a baby, the big one he is beside is the one he is hanging with

Attachments

• pond (35).JPG
    pond (35).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 246
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
.... a black and white Koi we call the storm trooper
and not any of the others

Did you name all your fish?
I love when people name their fish!
Me, I was only able to name the one in my avatar!....his name is Squalo (Shark in English) ..I named him that cause of his grey-bluish coloring and his slow and peaceful way of swimming really stands out compare to the rest of the hyper active bunch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
we didn't name any others, my wife calls him that because he looks like a storm trooper

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
Goldfish don't guard their eggs -- they eat them!

I kinda wondered about that, from everything I see on here that is what I thought

we do have a large clay pot on it's side in there but I don't think they use it so I am going to take it out
we now have some water lettuce and hyacinth that has created a large area at the drop from the bog that is a big enough area for them to get under.

I guess they just like their new found hiding spot

Ask a Question