What moss to use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I'm getting close to finishing up my pond build (until I inevitably need to make changes as it adapts). I was hoping to put some moss in the cracks between a few rocks to help hide the gaps/naturalize the build. I'll also be adding plants where I can. I've seen some of the pond builders on youtube place moss directly into the waterfall foam, which is something I'm interested in trying? My pond is going to be mostly sun with a little area of partial shade. Any ideas on what type of moss I should be looking for? I'm in zone 4a (North Dakota, USA).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m also debating the same thing with my new pond. Sphagnum palustre would definitely work well. Only question is where to locate them and how to keep the moss put on the surface since the yogurt mix up with the moss might not be an option for an area that constantly gets water on it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I'm getting close to finishing up my pond build (until I inevitably need to make changes as it adapts). I was hoping to put some moss in the cracks between a few rocks to help hide the gaps/naturalize the build. I'll also be adding plants where I can. I've seen some of the pond builders on youtube place moss directly into the waterfall foam, which is something I'm interested in trying? My pond is going to be mostly sun with a little area of partial shade. Any ideas on what type of moss I should be looking for? I'm in zone 4a (North Dakota, USA).
I don't know if there are special kinds that are more suited than others, maybe other members can answer this question, but when we built our first pond, we got most of the stones from our woods and the moss that was on them just kept on growing as long as it was getting wet, so I'm thinking you could use whatever moss grows by you
I really like the idea to pin it with the foam, it would really solve my problem hiding the sides of the spill of my bog, thank you for the tip

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That would be my suggestion too - find locally growing moss and transfer it to the pond. In areas where it stays damp, is should adapt well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As weird as this sounds, I've never seen any moss growing in the wild here in the prairies of North Dakota that I can remember. I am a novice hunter as well and haven't seen any in the woods where I hunt. I grew up in Montana, so this North Dakota landscape is pretty weird to me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i should change my screen name to moss man i have moss everywhere some of my favorite moss is this
that and lung wart i should add you can get the moss more growing area by using the fabric to wick water where you need it to keep moss moist

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Moss grows in essentially every single climate in the world. The only place it won't grow is in or near salt water. Otherwise - it's out there! Find a place that's cool, damp, and shady with a lot of organic material on the ground and you'll find moss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know if there are special kinds that are more suited than others, maybe other members can answer this question, but when we built our first pond, we got most of the stones from our woods and the moss that was on them just kept on growing as long as it was getting wet, so I'm thinking you could use whatever moss grows by you
I really like the idea to pin it with the foam, it would really solve my problem hiding the sides of the spill of my bog, thank you for the tip
I'm in the same situation.
I find all different mosses around my property here in northeastern Pennsylvania.
I used some rocks that had it already growing on them and I have transplanted some onto pond rocks, especially near the spillway.
I love pretty much anything that grows, even some "weeds".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats what i love about the moss that i found. IT seems so long as it has all the water it can use it will grow in full sun

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Does anyone have a good source to order some online, by chance? Not only do I not have a green thumb... mine is a black thumb. I'm not sure I'll be able to find enough moss to meet my needs, let alone pull off the transplant process!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Does anyone have a good source to order some online, by chance? Not only do I not have a green thumb... mine is a black thumb. I'm not sure I'll be able to find enough moss to meet my needs, let alone pull off the transplant process!
I literally just ordered some as part of a larger plant order from https://www.tennesseewholesalenursery.com. They had great prices on milkweed and cardinal flower and thought I'd toss some moss into my cart as well. First time ordering so no experience but they seem reputable.

Ask a Question