What One Change Would You Make?

Reaction score
Aside from size, if you could change ONE thing about how your pond is constructed or it's inhabitants, what would you alter? (Bigger is not an answer, as we know that everyone would go bigger! LOL!)

Reaction score
well im goin to half to go with the top rim of the pond i wish i would have built a little ledge so the that border rock would b .5"-1" in the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would leave more space between the house and the pond and around the outer edge for easier access. I would also make more room so the waterfall could be extended and create a stream bed instead of just a straight falling one. I would have made room for a huge filter area like the 55 gal drum setup and a bio filter. I may have just chosen to have Sarassa Comets and Shubunkins instead of regular comets. Oh well, maybe next time :cool:

Reaction score
hey JW i think she said and i Quote "if you could change ONE thing about how your pond is constructed or it's inhabitants, what would you alter?" hehe just kidden

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i'd fill it in and dig a new bigger pond....ahh ah ah.. before you stop me....this would be a new pond. the one i have would be gone, so that would be its change. ha ha i found a loop hole!!! lol
or dig a 2nd pond next to the one i have and connect them by a 10' wide by 1' long by 2' deep stream...hehehehe!

Reaction score
I would have made better choices in having collected my koi along the way in terms of color/type. I guess the fish we loved a few years back, are no longer the loves our life later on. Gee, kinda sounds like relationships! LOL!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my fish may not be prime quality or especially pretty but niether am i, so maybe we were made for eachother...but some high end jap koi wouldnt be bad!!

Reaction score
Well since mine isn't built yet, the one thing I'd change is planning the dig based on the weather report. Sunny all week my......foot. There ya go even kept it clean. Well the Charlotte area has me to thank for the much needed rain. Rain seems to come unexpectedly every time I plan an outside project based on weather predictions.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
my fish may not be prime quality or especially pretty but niether am i, so maybe we were made for eachother...but some high end jap koi wouldnt be bad!!

LOL! Mine are largely pond grade too, tho I've been visiting more breeders during the fall harvests to try to get a good deal later in the season and save money. For me it is isn't about prime or otherwise, it's collecting them so I have a better variety. I need a butterfly Ogon this year, for example. Instead of just picking anything that catches my eye, I'm trying to be specific and search until I find it rather than just settling for something attractive, but that doesn't really add anything special to the collection as a whole.

Like I have a wonderful Koi with a great attitude that I've mentioned here before, named Barack. He is mostly black with a few flecks of orange underneath. As lively as he is, I realize he does nothing for the pond because you can hardly see the beast in the water since he is dark colored. But he is the first to jump on food and show up at the party.

So, I'm trying to be picky now with any new fish I aquire. It won't be based on money (since I don't have much to spare), but it will be based on looks solely. Call me shallow in my older age! LOL!

But agreed, a japanese beauty wouldn't hurt! LOL!

Reaction score
I would have build the purgula when we laid the stones for the expansion... we're planning to put netting in it so it blocks most of the leaves and right now the three big screens i have over it is rather annoying to look at... 2 are made with dried bamboo and one pvc... oh well a couple more paychecks....

Reaction score
I would have made sure the ground was leveled off properly instead of eye-balling it. The front side of my pond is about 6" lower than the back side so even when totally full it looks like it needs water. The uneven sides have driven me so crazy that I have pulled apart all the rocks around the pond and am now trying to level it. What a mess!

Reaction score
I woulld have love to have hidden the liner a little better. We are going to do some repiping and such soon, so maybe I can address the liner at that time. I wish I didn't have to see the liner :(

sherrye

Mn Ponder
Reaction score
I would go deeper, my pond is about 30" at its deepest part, and for Minnesota winters, it is more difficult to keep it from freezing solid in the winter.

Ask a Question