What other forums do you frequent ?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There's OTHER forums???? :dunno: But seriously, who has the time? I did try to join the Aquascape one (well, I succeeded, actually), but was banished for life after only one post! It seems humour is NOT permitted on the site. :disappointed_anim: That's OK, though. There wasn't much of interest there anyway. Was a member on a pigeon forum, but got rid of my birds and haven't been there in a long time.
John

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Reaction score
HARO said:
I did try to join the Aquascape one (well, I succeeded, actually), but was banished for life after only one post! It seems humour is NOT permitted on the site. :disappointed_anim:
Are you kidding? That is ridiculous! I think that life without humor tends to be depressing, don't you think?

I am on several sites -

this one
DG
allthingsplants
Google News
Reuters
Motley Fool
Foodnetwork
oh and I do check facebook from time to time. I have found it is a great way to keep in touch with my kids.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
j.w said:
I only visit this one. Need to get things done and if I had anymore I'd be in big trouble! Going to go now and live life or I'll be sitting here all day!
Oh JW, with all that tree cutting and such isn't it true that you belong to the "Modern Lady Lumber Jacks" forum? .............. ( silly grin )

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hth what problems are you having .I don't have a double wide but there are lots of them around here .i have a modular home that came in 3 pieces and took 2 commercial cranes to set on the basement .The length was the problem since the house is 100 feet long and my sister in law has a double wide not far from me .We just put new windows and new doors in it and put house wrap on and new vinyl siding .We also put a set of sliding doors in it and moved the propane fireplace to the center of the home .She has the standard vaulted ceilings,no attic and a crawl space .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
sissy said:
hth what problems are you having .I don't have a double wide but there are lots of them around here .i have a modular home that came in 3 pieces and took 2 commercial cranes to set on the basement .The length was the problem since the house is 100 feet long and my sister in law has a double wide not far from me .We just put new windows and new doors in it and put house wrap on and new vinyl siding .We also put a set of sliding doors in it and moved the propane fireplace to the center of the home .She has the standard vaulted ceilings,no attic and a crawl space .
The home was manufactured in the mid 80's Schult so construction is more of the mobile home variety then modular home.

There is a list of concerns.

The big three.

The previous owner added hardiboard siding (concrete) and metal roofing. The end wall floor now dips like the wall is pushing the floor down. Strange.

I also want to replace all the windows. Replace some of the paneled walls and ceiling with sheet rock.

I want to replace most of the carpet with laminate flooring. Worried about the floor shifting due to the expansive soil the trailer rests on. Depending on the phase of the moon our shower door goes from perfect to will not close easily.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have footings and is the house tied down .Sounds like the house was not properly put in .Most double wides have what they call shear columns and are on footings ,depth of footings depends on area .The shear columns have to be so many feet apart and are mortared together concrete block .Typically they are 10 feet apart from each other .You may have to resolve your foundation problems first .Schult built homes were never the best built homes back then .Sounds like also your center bolts could be loose .The house is brought in 2 sections and bolted together and axles and wheels are taken off .If there is not bolts every 2 feet down the center metal frame that could be the problem .The house is settling out .Do you have a permanent foundation or a skirt around the house .The skirts are metal or plastic material .The bolts are now by law have to be 1 foot apart .There is a steel frame your house is built on and floor joist and insulation are built on top of that steel frame .Schult was known to not use coated steel and not use the best quality steel .Several others did the same thing like commodor homes and oxford homes .The exterior walls are 2x3 's and do not handle up to weight added to them also .They twist and crack .Your frame may have buckled under your home from not enough support and tie downs .There should be steel bands that have large steel rods hammered deep into the ground under your home .The ceiling is also bolted together as you should have a vaulted ceiling .The house is bolted together up there also .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
No foundation. Just the pillars every so often which you called sheer columns. Metal skirt same material as the roof.

The house rests on several feet of clay. Re pond digging. even the stick built homes shift. Very few basements.

I need to get under there and do an inspection based on what you said. Looks like I may have to add a foundation to better support the now too heavy walls.

Wonder if the house is in good enough shape to stand the moving needed to put a basement under it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like you need to really look when you get under it and look at your supports and check those bolts they should have been tightened and those bolts are usually welded if the house is on permanent foundation and only tightened if it is on temporary foundation so it can be taken apart and moved if the owner wants to upgrade .

Ask a Question