What percentage of fry should make it?

Reaction score
Realizing there is no exact answer but still. We had a spawning during the supermoon (Cinco de Mayo) and scrambled to put all the eggs we could gather into our little in-pond hatchery. About 50 fry hatched and we were excited. For a few days we still had tons and then the next day I could only find 2. I understand that most won't survive but should I figure that the other 48 escaped, died, are hiding really really well??? Is this normal to have it happen all at once? The remaining 2 are growing nicely and I can see their bodies changing now from tadpoles to actual fish shapes!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You in pond hatchery, was there a way for the fish to get out? if so that may be what happened they escaped back into the main pond.

Reaction score
Possibly. We made it out of a super fine mesh (allows circulation but too small of holes for them to exit) and it is wound around PVC pipes to for a ~ 18" x18" x 3' deep tube that attaches to the side of the pond (semi raised pond). While there are no tears, it is possible that they are hiding in the folds or managed to find a crevice out. That said, the 2 I am seeing seem to be the same 2 each time (but who really knows).

I had put a bunch of string algae in there at first because I couldn't safely detach the eggs. After they all hatched I slowly removed it (making sure to shake it out so none got pulled out with it) a little each day for 3 days but after I took out the last big clump they all no showed!

After removing the algae we purchased the recommended food for their stage and planned on giving only a tiny pinch (as directed), but there was only 2 to feed when we got home! So either these are the strongest 2 that survived...or the dumbest 2 that couldn't make it out :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So you saw no little bodies dead eh? Well if that's the case then they found their way out. I made a floating plant ring and used fiberglass screen material to attach all around the bottom so no fish could get into it. Well after my goldfish spawned all the little ones that hatched went right through those teensy tiny screen holes and were all safe and snug in there. I let them stay till they got a bit bigger and then kicked them out!

Reaction score
So I found about 50 fry over the weekend in the pond and put them in the hatchery. Next year, we build a better hatchery :.P On that note, when first hatched we had white, green, grey, black etc. it seemed and now everyone is a smoky black color. They have different "markings" (scale patterns and such it appears) but they are all the same color. Also, there is a single fry that is 4-5xs larger and more developed than anyone else. What the heck?

ed2

Reaction score
That'll be what you call a Toby! They grow a lot faster and should be removed before they are able to he cannibalistic towards the other fry... Perhaps release it into the pond on its own?

Ed

Reaction score
Haha, at first we though it was a mosquito fish but it has a "forked" tail instead of a fan and resembles a small koi. This was a non-planned breeding so not sure which koi are the parents but don't think any belong to the goldfish, catfish or sharks. I was going to name it "Megalodon" because of her size. Perhaps I could build her her own hatchery?

ed2

Reaction score
I believe that once a fry reaches 1 inch in length the bigger fish will no longer see it as 'food' as long as there aren't predators in there. I guess it depends on what you call 'catfish' and 'sharks' in the states because in the UK catfish are predatory and sharks are unheard of?

If so, I would suggest that you do seperate the larger fry from the majority to prevent it snaffling all the food and from eating the other fry too!

Can you get some pictures of it all? :)

Ed

Reaction score
We have 2 albino catfish that are just as predatory as the koi and about 10-12" long. The "sharks" are high fin sharks (aka Chinese Suckerfish), not really native to California either but super cute (not very predatory though). We have 2 red eared slider turtles though (that will soon go to live with my sister in law again as they have started to get aggressive with the fish) and they would certainly make a meal of them. I am hoping that the big one makes it at least, seems to be thriving. I honestly don't need a bunch of baby koi but I want to watch them grow and can rehome them (unless I get some that I really love/don't have yet.).

I will try to snag some pics when I get home tonight, lighting has been difficult in the mornings!

Reaction score
I lost 3 out of approx 250 and Matt lost 2/90 I think although I haven't had mine from eggs!

Ed

It was 2 out of 98 lol everyone counts when u only got a handful. It's a crap shoot my results are definitely not typical I'm sure in nature its probably like 1in a thousand that's not an exact figure just feels right any pics?

Reaction score
I only speculate that the pad had an effect as the algae began to turn brown and die of massively a week after we put it in. Didn't ALL die off but we are now down to 2 areas rather than every single surface. Still sucks. The barley bale is new but I figure it's functional, natural and in full sun.

Not able to get good fry pics today but will post some of the others tomorrow

Reaction score
Finally managed to get some shots. The top pick you can see "Megaladon" on the far left side who is WAY bigger than the rest!

jennurias
[/URL][/img]

jennurias
[/URL][/img]

Ask a Question