What plants can be "planted" directly in shallow water?

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I went on a pond tour recently, and one of the guys plants different things directly in the water with no pot or soil whatsoever. He just sticks them in between rocks (not gravel, but rocks about 5" or larger) and they grow. AND they come back next year (hardy perennial, even in Michigan). I would estimate the water depth to be about 4 or 5 inches.

For any of you who do this, what plants will work? I would love to cover a majority of my rock ledge with these types of plants if possible. Or maybe ALL marginals would work this way?

Thanks!

Reaction score
J

joesandy1822 said:
I went on a pond tour recently, and one of the guys plants different things directly in the water with no pot or soil whatsoever. He just sticks them in between rocks (not gravel, but rocks about 5" or larger) and they grow. AND they come back next year (hardy perennial, even in Michigan). I would estimate the water depth to be about 4 or 5 inches.

For any of you who do this, what plants will work? Or maybe ALL marginals would work this way?

Thanks!
Yep, as far as I now just about any marginal plant will grow "barefoot" in rocks. Some will even thrive like that, others may simply survive. There are pros and cons associated with the practice though. One usual complaint is that the plants that thrive may grow out of control when not contained in a pot. Another con is you really do it's harder to fertilize plant growing in the rocks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have blue forget me not, marsh betony, creeping primrose, penny wort, mint, iris, cat tails, creeping jenny growing barefoot in the rocks of the pond. Some self started, some I stuck there.

I just try the plant if it grows great if not try something else. All comes back after winter.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Mucky_Waters said:
One usual complaint is that the plants that thrive may grow out of control when not contained in a pot. Another con is you really do it's harder to fertilize plant growing in the rocks
I don't see it quite that way. The bare root plants will consume nutrients directly from the water which will reduce or eliminate accumulated nitrates. Note: some potted plants, ones with leaves in the water, will consume some nutrients from the water.

I would rather wade in with a knife and trim back plants then wade in to fertilize them. If they do need fertilizer you can use throw tabs which go directly in the water.

Reaction score
HTH said:
I don't see it quite that way. The bare root plants will consume nutrients directly from the water which will reduce or eliminate accumulated nitrates. Note: some potted plants, ones with leaves in the water, will consume some nutrients from the water.

I would rather wade in with a knife and trim back plants then wade in to fertilize them. If they do need fertilizer you can use throw tabs which go directly in the water.
I think it comes down to the sort of water clarity you hope, or expect to have. It's true, you could just dump fertilizer into the pond water, but this would undoubtedly lead to an algae bloom which is something most ponders try to avoid. Containing the plants in pots and putting fertilizer tabs in the pots also helps contain fertilizer from leaching into the pond water, which of course will help reduce the chance of an algae blooms.
I've seen you magnificent lilies plants, and relate to your method of growing them, but feel that most backyard ponders might not be ready or equipped with a backhoe like you are for removing overgrown lilies. :eek: ( pun intended)
Most backyard ponders deal with things on a smaller scale, and maybe have one or two lilies in their pond and prefer crystal clear water. Yet they'd like to get the best growth and especial biggest blooms from those lilies. I really feel the best way to obtain those objectives is by containing the lilies in pots and giving them heavy doses of fertilizer (in the pots).
On the other hand, if you are willing to manually control plants, especially non flowering plants, then I see no reason not to plant them barefoot in the rocks, I have many like that myself.
I've had, and have, both barefoot plant, and contained in pots or fabric pots. I prefer to keep flowering plants contained so I can add extra fertilizer to the "pots' to get better blooms. The non blooming plants I like to have the roots free to absorb nutrients from the water.

Reaction score
I have taro root plants growing bare root in my pond and they grow faster than i can keep up with. vary easy to remove though just pull and place ware you need them . i just removed one that was growing in the falls on a chunk of driftwood with just the water flowing over the roots .

IMG_0828.JPG

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok, great discussion going here. Thanks to everybody participating!

Just to clarify though, you are all talking about actual rocks, and not gravel, correct? As in largish (baseball size and up) rocks that you are putting the plants into?

A side question here.....how do you get tallish things to stand upright when you first plant them barefoot in the rocks? I bought some sweet flag (at least that's what he called it), and it just flops over. He said for the first year it would do that, and once it gets established, it would right itself.

Thanks again,

Sandy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of my new water plants flop over, they need to get established again, usually does not take a year though. Just use the rocks to get it supported upright, like standing a stick between rocks.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
With properly applied fertilizer the bare root pond will behave like a veggie filter and should have lower nutrient levels then the same pond with plants in pots. Should be just a clear or clearer.

The pond is/was large enough that it takes 2 people days of back breaking work to remove, divide and repot all the plants. Our health has not allowed us to do that. It was either figure out a way to maintain ponds with less work or fill it in. The backhoe was part of the answer. So make fun of it if you like and keep pushing the same old ways. Open your mind.

Mucky_Waters said:
On the other hand, if you are willing to manually control plants, especially non flowering plants, then I see no reason not to plant them barefoot in the rocks, I have many like that myself.
I've had, and have, both barefoot plant, and contained in pots or fabric pots. I prefer to keep flowering plants contained so I can add extra fertilizer to the "pots' to get better blooms. The non blooming plants I like to have the roots free to absorb nutrients from the water.
On the lilies you can compromise by using nursery pots. Maybe add a few extra holes. Line with newspaper. When the lily get to where it is root bound it will send roots through the holes. That would let you feed the lily and have it feed from the water, with the goal being better water quality.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How thick does the rock layer need to be for plants to stay alive? I currently have a very shallow stream and the rock layer is no more than 2.5" to maybe 3".

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have plants living and growing great in rocks, the water is about 1/2 to 1 inch deep. Some of my bog plants have wandered, 3 foot tall ones. The rocks are river type rocks, small to medium in size.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Last year I took out the beach area on my pond to increase the water capacity. This beach was a single layer of stones, roughly fist-sized, and went from an inch of water to about 3" at the deeper end. Over the years, cat-tails, pickerel weed, various grasses and a variety of others had established themselves in this area, and had created a solid mass of roots holding the rocks together. The entire 8' by 4' area could have been lifted out as a single piece, but would have required a backhoe!
My point here is, plants will grow wherever favourable conditions exist. Don't worry too much about specifics!
John

Reaction score
Just for fun I took the remaining Impatients that my wife had left over and planted them bare roots in gravel along the ledge of our pond. They are growing and blooming very well. I may try something different for variety.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have inpatients on the top of the barrel for the subbie tank, they are growing great, except with this heat even though they are right in water they are wilting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
For the question of how to keep the plants upright... Basically you are waiting for their roots to grow out ans anchor themselves in the rocks, Once they are anchored down, the new growth the following year will come straight up out of the water.

I have irises growing both in the larger rocks, and in a very shallow (less than 2") gravel bed. The height they grow is determined by how well they can anchor themselves. When I was putting in new bulbs, I would put a small rock on top of each to hold them in place. Then as the plant grew, the roots would encase the rock.

I want to know how you guys managed to get forget-me-nots to come back? I've planted them for the last two Summers, and they grow and bloom all Summer, but then nothing comes back the next year.

And what is this "fertilizer" everyone keeps talking about? I thought that's what the fish were for? :biggrin: Honestly I've never used fertilizer in my pond, but as show by my plant thread this weekend, obviously I'm doing it wrong. :nananananana:

Ask a Question