What plants to use in a bog filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are the names of some plants that will work in a bog filter? I live in Zone 6 for garden plants, don't know if this applies to bog filter plants. I have plenty of common water plants like, water hyacinth, horse tail reed, duckweed, parrots feather, could any of these be used? No place sells plants around here so I will need to know the proper name for ordering them.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes those would work. Water hyacinth as long as you have a few inches of water above the gravel.

most plant bogs with marginal plants Like irises, pickerel rush, water cress, water celery, water forgetmenots, arrowhead, arums, creeping Jenny, hostas, ferns. Ideally you want plants that grow quickly and can be weeded back easy. The faster they growthe more nutrients they consume. Most of these plants should be hardy to zone 6.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. I have yet to find anything that won't grow in the bog - one year I even stuck some tomato trimmings in and they grew like crazy! I also grow things like canna lilies and impatiens in my bog, but those are annuals and have to be replaced every year. Have fun with your bog - it's an easy place to plant things and an easy place to yank things out if you decide you don't like it or it tries to take over... much easier than the garden!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica)
Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
Blue Flag Iris (Iris virginica)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
I'm loving elephant ears and caladiums in my bog this first year. I'm hopeful that my cannas can overwinter and be back next year as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I've found that the proper plants for the bog are whatever plants will grow there. It would surprize you at what plants I've put in my bog that have not only survived, but thrived. Most of which are not what would be considered bog type plants. Just "test drive" various species, and see what happens. The bog on an established is also a good place to root cuttings. just cut and jab it in. it'll take root in a short time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've found that the proper plants for the bog are whatever plants will grow there. It would surprize you at what plants I've put in my bog that have not only survived, but thrived. Most of which are not what would be considered bog type plants. Just "test drive" various species, and see what happens. The bog on an established is also a good place to root cuttings. just cut and jab it in. it'll take root in a short time.

Thanks, you are correct, last month I tried 2 types of Monkey Grass and they is thriving so far, I guess you need to experiment and use a little common sense

Ask a Question