what plants to use in my little bog filter.

Reaction score
I want to get some plants for filtering that are fish proof and up where they can be seen. so on my 170 gal pond I was planning on using this pot and run a small amount of filtered water through it. I plan on putting gravel in the bottom. I am debating on planting plants in the gravel or using only floaters or both. I am in portand or any I can sink the plants in winter.
I have not plumbed it in yet waiting on the glue to dry.

photo-33.jpg

photo1-22.jpg

photo2-20.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will look neat, the gravel on the bottom will hold the plants up nicely. My bog has the water come up through the gravel then back into the pond.

You can have floaters, plants in pots or plants in the pea gravel bottom. To keep it clean you might want to just put the plants in pots that allow water to flow through them. So when it gets dirty, pull the plants and dump the water.

Reaction score
I have it so the water will come up through the grave. since the water is filtered it should stay clean I would think.
one thing my wife is blind but she can see the fish. so I try to keep the surface as clean as possible. I was thinking of two of these but they are just too big.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice steve, that should work. You might want to put in a bottom drain also to flush if ever need be, but with that size you could just clean it with a fish tank gravel cleaner.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
you could try planting some smallish iris in it or small rush ... they would help with nitrates and look pretty, even with a filter i think it would need to be cleaned out at least once a year, :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks good. Love my bog, the plants are growing like crazy.

Ask a Question