What plug should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I’ve recently purchased a “All Pond Solutions Submersible Pond and Aquarium Water Pump 1400pp” which came without a plug.

I’m hopeless at these things but it says a 3amp fuse. My outdoor plug is RCD, can I connect a normal 3amp fused plug to this? (Attached photo)

Sorry for such a silly question but I’m hopeless :)

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• F3943825-9BCD-4734-B9FB-D3F9FB00AB18.jpeg
    F3943825-9BCD-4734-B9FB-D3F9FB00AB18.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 138
  • B60F7F57-DC2A-419E-BCB4-ABF5C1945C01.jpeg
    B60F7F57-DC2A-419E-BCB4-ABF5C1945C01.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 139
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You are obviously not in the U.S.
Please state what country you live in so that those familiar with your wiring and codes may chime in. Hopefully you will get a response.

I don't know what an RCD is. Is it similar to our GFCI? (Ground fault circuit interrupter)

I'm wondering if you can go to a local electrical supply with your pump. Perhaps they can sell you the proper Male plug. They might even be able to install it for you. Or call an electrician.

I find it strange that there was no plug on it from the factory.

Reaction score
The directions say that it is to be earth and fused at 3 amps. All that means is that you have to plug it into an outlet that is at least 3 amps and is grounded. In the U.S the lowest "fuse" or breaker would be 15 amps and I'm guessing the same would be where you live. As far as the "earth" goes all electrical panels are earthed so everything that is plugged into them is grounded because the outlet is grounded. As far as the plug goes just get the type of 220 volt plug that will fit into the outlet. As poconojoe said, take the pump to someplace that sells electrical parts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The directions say that it is to be earth and fused at 3 amps. All that means is that you have to plug it into an outlet that is at least 3 amps and is grounded. In the U.S the lowest "fuse" or breaker would be 15 amps and I'm guessing the same would be where you live. As far as the "earth" goes all electrical panels are earthed so everything that is plugged into them is grounded because the outlet is grounded. As far as the plug goes just get the type of 220 volt plug that will fit into the outlet. As poconojoe said, take the pump to someplace that sells electrical parts.
So sorry, I’m based in the UK. I have a 13amp plug going spare so didn’t know if it would be safe to wire in to this?

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I'm not trying to be snarky, but the label you posted says "Consult with a qualified electrician if in doubt about any aspect of wiring"...

That's probably some good advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So sorry, I’m based in the UK. I have a 13amp plug going spare so didn’t know if it would be safe to wire in to this?
If you're saying you have a male plug that is rated at 13 amps and it has the same configuration as the outlet, then I would say yes, use that. The 13 amp rating is just it's maximum rating. You can use it for lower rated equipment. Hence your pump only draws 3 amps, so that plug is good to use.
There are also other considerations, such as...weather resistance. Is that plug you have rated for outdoor usage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello and welcome!

I'm not trying to be snarky, but the label you posted says "Consult with a qualified electrician if in doubt about any aspect of wiring"...

That's probably some good advice.
Definately good advice.
There are many reasons. Here are some...
Do you have the experience and knowledge on how to properly terminate the wires inside the Male plug? Not just which wires go where, but how to literally connect a wire to a screw. It may depend on the plug itself. If it's of good quality, the wires will go under a clamp, then the screw tightens the clamp. If it isn't the clamp style, there are other methods. You don't want any strands of wire sticking out or broken off either.

How to properly screw the parts of the Male plug together, especially in relation to the outer rubber casing of the pump's wire.

And as I stated in my other post, the male plug should be rated for outdoor useage.

The absolute most important thing to remember is proper grounding. Here in the U.S., the ground wire and ground screws are green colored, I'm not sure what they use in the U.K. I think I recall using some European lighting where the ground was brown, but I'm not sure.

It may be best to seek professional help. Electricity is nothing to fool around with, especially 220 volts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Hi there

I’ve recently purchased a “All Pond Solutions Submersible Pond and Aquarium Water Pump 1400pp” which came without a plug.

I’m hopeless at these things but it says a 3amp fuse. My outdoor plug is RCD, can I connect a normal 3amp fused plug to this? (Attached photo)

Sorry for such a silly question but I’m hopeless :)

Thanks in advance
Hi there. If you purchased it from a store I would take it back and get them to put a plug on to it. If you have an electrical store near you they would do it as well. I think the UK wiring is similar to Australia. Here our fuses are usually 10amp with 240 volts. You should be able to connect it to most power supplies once you get the plug correctly attached. Get an earth leakage device as well so you cannot get fried if anything goes wrong with electricity and water.
Ray

Ask a Question