What pump and filter type to get

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
Hi all new to the forum and ponds started building a ornamental pond but now she wants to start having some fish in there
The pond is about 6x4x2 I would like a fountain and a waterfall the waterfall is about 10" wide and 4ft above pond level after doing some research on the net I believe I need a pump about 1300gal/hr to get a nice sheet off the waterfall is this about right? Also what type of filter would be recommended for this will be starting off with a couple of cold fish and water plants but want to really future proof it so if we get more or different fish I don't have to buy again
Have looked at pressurised filters but was wondering if they can be party submerged if so I can hide one behind the water fall sorry for all the questions and thanks for looking

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best is to build your own they are cheaper and sure need a lot less cleaning than most pressure filters .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Oof, looks like you have put in a ton of expense into that pond. Any chance you can find a prof pond installer to consult to offer some advise?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have lots of filter builds on here .I use a stock tank with lava rocks in it and holes drilled in it for a tank adapter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oof, looks like you have put in a ton of expense into that pond. Any chance you can find a prof pond installer to consult to offer some advise?
Luckily it's been quite good for us we were given the pond and a mate was demolishing an old dry stone wall so only blocks and sand and cement we've really bought so far

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They have lots of filter builds on here .I use a stock tank with lava rocks in it and holes drilled in it for a tank adapter
Will have a search and see what I can do
Does the figures for the waterfall sound right?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
free is always good .:)I used a stock tank for my filter and 2 tank adapters so i had a nice flow of water .

Attachments

• 100_6250.JPG
    100_6250.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 100_6249.JPG
    100_6249.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
W
free is always good .:)I used a stock tank for my filter and 2 tank adapters so i had a nice flow of water .
wish I thought of putting it behind the waterfall but as it nearly built don't fancy altering it now that was my thinking of a pressurised filter so can hide it then pump it to the waterfall can you make a pressurised filter? And still need to know it the figures for the pump are right for a good flow over the waterfall

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You would have to buy a pressurized filter .Head loss and flow of water would be up to you .The farther the hose travels the less water and the pressure would have to be able to take all the water or you would have put in a splitter and let some of the water go to the filter and some go to the waterfall .I have a splitter and some goes to my filter and some goes right into the pond and a spitter in my water fall pond and it helps aerate the water .I have a 2900 gph pump and a 2400 gph pump for 5000 gallons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You would have to buy a pressurized filter .Head loss and flow of water would be up to you .The farther the hose travels the less water and the pressure would have to be able to take all the water or you would have put in a splitter and let some of the water go to the filter and some go to the waterfall .I have a splitter and some goes to my filter and some goes right into the pond and a spitter in my water fall pond and it helps aerate the water .I have a 2900 gph pump and a 2400 gph pump for 5000 gallons
Brill thanks sissy

Ask a Question