What Pump is needed??

Reaction score
I have a 1274.2 Litre pond, or under 300 Gallons...

What fish mate pump will I need to buy? I will be connecting this up to a filter..

Can I purchase the Fish Mate 700L Submersible Fountain Pond Pump.

or

Fish Mate 1800 Litre Submersible Pond Pump.

What will be the most suffiiciant?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bigger is better up to a point and the 1800 will turn your pond over about every 40 minutes, as the 700 every hour and 1/2 or so. i would opt for the larger. if your filters small you can always divert some of the flow past the filter to a waterfall fountain etc.. for oxygenation. or just for circulation under water.

Reaction score
thanks, think i was ready to settle for the larger one too i just didnt want it to be too powerful. the filter is a hozelock 4500 so hopefully it can cope.

Reaction score
Oh no! I read some good reviews about fish mate and they have a 3 year guarentee too so I hope you got something sorted!

Aslong as I can get the filter and pumped connected I with a sufficiant flow I will be happy for the short term.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I noticed on pumps too that the longer the hose is that you are pumping into the lower the flow rate will be and a lot of sights tell you that also .I noticed that as I had a smaller pond before I built the bigger one and the smaller pump was not close to strong enough as the hose a little over 8 feet long and the pump was 640 gph and it came out so slow I went to 2 -940 gph one on each end of the pond for 2 filters and now got one that is 1268 gph and took at the one 940gph and have it stored in a bucket of water .The one that is 1268gph is on the deep end at 4 feet down and goes to the waterfall and filter

Reaction score
I got it working today, I added a plug and the correct fuses and I currently have it pluged in a circuit breaker in the shed power outlet.

So far i'm happy, its comming out the filter at a nice speed, I havent got the water fountation attachment working yet as the dark night came in too soon, and also the filter is really light, so I need to find the perfect place for it to sit without it tilting!

I have not turned the filter on yet as the old pump is still direct wired into the system, will this be okay to keep the filter off? no signs of the filter flooding yet...

Also may i ask whats the point of a filter being on powered on? Is this strictly just for the UV light to work?

Reaction score
Thanks im sure the light is not working currently, but glad that means there no point of the filter being switched on till I purchase a new light.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gret news you got it working and at least now your safe and sound .was worried about that electric ,don't think you want to curl your hair that way

Ask a Question