What pump should I pick?

Reaction score
HI, I have 2 small ponds (arround 500 gallons), conected with a small water stream (like a small river).

I currently have a 325 GPH Beckett pump that goes to my preasure filter, and algo feeds my waterfall. But I will like to upgrade to a bigger one, in order to send more water to the waterfall, and also circulate water on a death spot I have in the botton of the bigger pond. (I know, is a desing problem, it was my first pond and I just did based on a really small pond my mother in law has at her place, it doesn't event have fish or plans on it.

Well, I am doing some research and I think I finnaly have 2 candidates, and I will like to get some feedback before buying one of them.

I am looking for a pump arround 1000 gph, with low energy usage and that can handle some solids, with a cage arround it, since my current pump has a small intake and gets clogged pretty often.

My two choices are:

LAGUNA

FISH MATE

For the comparition the fish mate looks to be a better pump with only 44 W agains the 65 W the laguna, also it promise to be more powerfull, but will it be able to deliver after hooking it up to my filter?, also what about noise and lifetime?

One more thing to mention is that I have a couple of Koi fish and small cometts, I am including some pictures of the pond (from some months ago) so everyone gets and idea. The pond has been running for 5 months now withow a problem, but I am worry about the pump getting clogged.

POND

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My 2 ponds which are set up like yours and only a few hundred gallons more have 1 1185 GPH pump for the waterfall that is also a bio filter and a second 3200GPH pump to circulate the lower to the upper pond.
The small pump is a Beckett from Home Depot and the other is a Harbor Freight pump.
One has a 2 year unconditional exchange warrantee and the other has a 3 year.
You might want to search both web sites and evaluate for yourself.

Reaction score
Thanks DrDave.

I have a G325 Beckett pumpg, but it gets clogged so I need to clean it constantly. Last business trip my wife didn't realize the pump was clogged and we lost 2 Koi :wink:. Thats the reason for the change.

I have bee looking at the Beckett pump at Homedepot, and also the Harbor Freight pumps, but the ones that handle solids and are 1000 gph capacity are 144 watt pumps :S, so Its definetly a lot of energy.

Unfortunately for me, I am getting charge .35 cents per Kw, thats why I am looking for a energy efficient pump. I have a 2000 gph pump, but is not really energy efficient, last time I use it my electric bill increase 70 dlls :S, so I think it may be cheaper to replace it for a low energy one .

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Where do you live that you have to pay that much for electricity? Even in So Cal where we have the most expensive electricity in the US, I pay only $.19 per KWH when I run my air conditioning every day.

Reaction score
Mexico!

The electricity in Mexico cost around 3.5 cents (us dolars) per KW as long as you only spend around 75KW per month, if you go over that, they will charge you around 10 cents per kilowatt you spend over the 75. But in my case since I use more than 3000 KW per year they charge me more or less 35 cents per KW. (the government figure put that if I spend more electricity is because I have more money, so they charge me ore)

So I am trying to cut as much electricity I can in order to go under the 3000 KW per year, that wlil save me lots of money on the long run.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
What amazes me is that Mexico has an enormous amount of natural gas and oil. They could offer electricity for less than almost any nation in the world if they wanted to. Someone there is getting filthy rich off the poor.:bowdown:

The company I work, for manufactures a lot of equipment for Pemex.

Reaction score
Well, it is cheap if you spend less than 3000 KW a year, I should be in that range but something was wrong at my place (we were out on vacations for a month and we still got a hi energy bill).

I think I fix that already, but I still one to play it safe.

Thanks for the help :bowdown:

Reaction score
Well, it is cheap if you spend less than 3000 KW a year, I should be in that range but something was wrong at my place (we were out on vacations for a month and we still got a hi energy bill).

I think I fix that already, but I still one to play it safe.

Thanks for the help

:banghead3:
You can also shopping online for quality and cheap product. Visit ebay dot com. If not than in my experience Laguna Skimmer Filter Pumps Model 2905 is the best for you.

Ask a Question