What removes skunk stench from a dog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess @j.w was right even though my pond still has ice spring is here the mut god love him is a mut and at 8 years old still knows no better then to go for a skunk.

what have you found to work in removing that aroma

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I guess @j.w was right even though my pond still has ice spring is here the mut god love him is a mut and at 8 years old still knows no better then to go for a skunk.

what have you found to work in removing that aroma
Never had that issue. Only porcupine quills on a camping trip. I've heard tomato sauce works but I don't really know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Never had that issue. Only porcupine quills on a camping trip. I've heard tomato sauce works but I don't really know.
I used to have the recipe but since I moved to a small yard in Florida I have tossed it...Try googling it..I feel for you though...Nothing really gets it out completely that I have ever found. At least its not porcupine quills as j.w. mentioned..I have a lot of experience with those!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mix 32 oz (1 quart bottle) of hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and a generous squeeze of dishwashing liquid (I use Dawn) Put the mixture all over the DRY dog (very important NOT to wet the dog first) until saturated. Allow to sit on for at least 5 - 10 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Make sure not to get the mixture in eyes, nose, mouth (obviously) Follow up with a rinse of 50/50 mix water + white vinegar.

This will remove the vast majority of the smell, but you'll probably notice a lingering odor for a couple weeks when/if the dog gets wet. Also note! This mixture has the potential to bleach the dog's color out a bit, but (IMO) that's the lesser of two evils.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mix 32 oz (1 quart bottle) of hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and a generous squeeze of dishwashing liquid (I use Dawn) Put the mixture all over the DRY dog (very important NOT to wet the dog first) until saturated. Allow to sit on for at least 5 - 10 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Make sure not to get the mixture in eyes, nose, mouth (obviously) Follow up with a rinse of 50/50 mix water + white vinegar.

This will remove the vast majority of the smell, but you'll probably notice a lingering odor for a couple weeks when/if the dog gets wet. Also note! This mixture has the potential to bleach the dog's color out a bit, but (IMO) that's the lesser of two evils.
How long will it take @GBBUDD to smell better too?
1646255369190.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Yea that does seem to be the choice of mixtures out there and it has helped . Thanks for the info .... ....... thanks @j.w .... geeez

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yup, definitely the concoction recommended by BKH. It works well, but you'll still smell it for a long time, especially around the ears.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I remember now that BKH listed it that it is in fact the recipe that I had....and yes, it lingers but it is still a lot better than the initial odor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
The peroxide mixture works great if you get it right on them as soon as it happens. There is still some faint leftover smell, but very tolerable compared to the original. I use "Skunk-Off" afterwards but that's not much better than the skunk smell, sort of like a men's room toilet cake. The diluted skunk smell is almost better.

Ask a Question