What set up would you recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.I have recently decided to make a pond size 12 x 6 x 5 foot deep.Although I am capable of making pond I feel overwhelmed by the amount of choice on set ups and have never done this before.
I plan to have mainly koi in the tank .A waterfall ,skimmer,bottom drain, external filter, pump, UV light and vortex I believe I may need but am unsure.The pond will hold 10000 ltrs.
Can someone please advise on the required set up?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. I am always tickled when someone gives pond stats and uses a mix of standard and metric measurements.

Starting a new pond is exciting and overwhelming! Is this your first pond? How are you going to line it? Five feet seems pretty deep, but not unheard of. Just be aware that the surface area of the water is more important than the depth (for optimum gas exchange, which takes place at the surface).

My pond has a very simple set up, so I’m not even going to begin to advise about equipment and all, but there are members here who can probably help you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Also, keep in mind that the rule of thumb is 1,000 gallons for your first koi. If the calculator I used was correct, 1,000 liters is only 240.20 gallons. Way too small for koi. Koi get huge and produce a lot of waste. Take a look at shubunkin. They don't get so large and are beautiful fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1590332171906.gif
@Newtoponds
If you are going to have koi I would go bigger as they need lots of room. Your pond is 2700 gals: https://www.pondvolumecalculator.com/ Koi need 500 to 1000 gals per koi : https://theponddigger.com/2012/01/22/dangerous-rules-how-many-koi-can-i-have-in-my-pond/
If you want nice colorful similar to Koi I would get Shubunkin goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Whoops! You stated 10,000, I saw 1,000! I missed a zero! OK, that's 2641.70 gallons.
Probably enough for a few koi. But, they do get big and do spawn and multiply. I've had some over 2 feet long. If you want a lot more fish, get varieties that doesn't grow so large. Goldfish, fancy goldfish, comets, shubunkin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Think about using a bog filter and save tons of money by not buying all that filter equipment and UV lights. Plus almost zero maintenance. Whereas with store bought filters, you'll be constantly cleaning pads and backwashing.
Thanks.I will look into it.
Think about using a bog filter and save tons of money by not buying all that filter equipment and UV lights. Plus almost zero maintenance. Whereas with store bought filters, you'll be constantly cleaning pads and backwashing.
Hi.Thanks for suggesting this,I have just googled bog filter and am thinking of doing it.I also have decided to make the pond 3 to four feet deep and have a mix of fish,not just koi.I am guessing I will only need a pump for the pond.Would a bottom drain be read.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some have bottom drains to suck debris off the bottom. Some don't. It's probably needed if you have a huge pond. Maybe two for really big ponds. I think there's a formula for that.
I opted not to have one. I just use a net to scoop stuff off the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok i see your on the other side of the big pond , where there are some very different approaches to ponds. AT 6 feet wide and 5 foot deep. You will have little choice but to build a cinder block or some other reinforcing wall. If your lucky enough that your soil will not collapse at those numbers you will be cursing digging it.

uv to me is a band aid for something gone wrong .

KOIPEN I BELIEVE IT IS is more in the idea you may be leaning toward.

Main drains require two on the same line the idea is that if someone " child " swam down to it , if they sat or there hair what ever got sucked in that the other drain on the same pipe usually 3 feet away will take on the load of the pump both drains have to be large enough to handle all of the draw from the pump. BUT CHECK YOUR OWN LOCAL BUILDING CODES OR WHAT EVER THEY MAY CALL IT IN YOUR AREA DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The gallons sound like a lot but it adds up quick just take a handful of topsoil or wet clay and put it in the pond and watch how fast just that little bit of soil can cloud the entire pond.

Ask a Question