What should I do.....if anything?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I started my pump and filter back up yesterday, as temps here in southern Ohio are starting to get a little warmer. I added MicroLift fall/spring prep as I've been doing all winter, and some API Pondzyme Sludge Destroyer. (I know these are controversial--not looking for a lecture on this) Today, I tested the water with the following results:

Ammonia = 0.5
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
pH = 8.0 (it consistently runs 8.0-8.4 for years--no issues)
kH = 6 drops
gH = >25 drops (I stopped adding drops after 25)
Water temp = 42 degrees (F)

This will be the 3rd season for my pond. It is approx 9ftx11ft with 1000gallons. I have (last count in the fall) 25 goldfish of varying sizes, largest few are about 7 inches. I kept aeration going all winter. I'm starting to see my fish coming up so that's encouraging.

So my question........I should probably add some baking soda to get the kH up. But at this point, do I worry about the ammonia? I hate to do a water change this early in the season. Does it just mean its starting to cycle for spring? I'm actually shocked that there are not nitrates or nitrites. Yes I had a net over it all winter to catch the leaves, but I know it didn't catch all of them. I can't see down far enough to even see if my lillies are starting yet. I know it'll take some time, but I just need some advice on what to do....or not do. Do I just keep monitoring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would add Prime, or the powdered form, Safe, to bind the ammonia and keep it from harming the fish. It will last for 48 hours, so it needs to be re-dosed every other day.

Since your pH is already at 8, you can add as much baking soda as you need to get the KH up to 100 ppm or more. And yes, I would bring the KH up to make sure the pH stays stable.

Your pond is just beginning a new cycle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm in southern OH too and did a water change / refresh yesterday. My pond is covered over the winter so doesn't get fresh rain water. I too would recommend using Prime or Safe, but if your air temps are similar to ours I wouldn't be afraid to add fresh water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Since your pH is already at 8, you can add as much baking soda as you need to get the KH up to 100 ppm or more. And yes, I would bring the KH up to make sure the pH stays stable.

Your pond is just beginning a new cycle.
[/QUOTE]

I already added baking soda and will check kH again tomorrow. I like to keep my kH at least 150.
Thank you, I will get some Prime...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm in southern OH too and did a water change / refresh yesterday. My pond is covered over the winter so doesn't get fresh rain water. I too would recommend using Prime or Safe, but if your air temps are similar to ours I wouldn't be afraid to add fresh water.

Will definitely get some prime. All that rain we had last weekend definitely remedied that .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Adding any bacterias in colder temps are probably just going to die . A water change can stress out the fish very easily when they are stil in a semi hibernation state. Most of those products i believe recommend not using blow 50 degrees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
don't forget; your fish are most vulnerable coming out of winter...the less stress they have, the better chance they'll make the transition.

In 10 years now, I've never put any chems in nor done any water changes (except for when I expanded!). I'm definitely a KISS believer.

Ask a Question