What should i do to even out dirt?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spouse says to stop digging lol. Around 34 inches at deepest point. We just have comets not koi.

How should we smooth the dirt before underlayment?

Should I ignore spouse and go deeper?

Attachments

• 6AF07748-A559-4E31-8C03-47F9984000F8.jpeg
    6AF07748-A559-4E31-8C03-47F9984000F8.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 45AE0376-7FEA-4DD0-9D44-556FAE2D92AF.jpeg
    45AE0376-7FEA-4DD0-9D44-556FAE2D92AF.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
Country
United States
The old pond was at the level of the top shelf. 12 inches at the deepest part. This will be a massive improvement anyway. Water was too hot in summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just read that 36 inches is the magic number for all-temperature safety, so I think I'll do another 3-6 inches. Why not lol.

I hate that the shelves take up so much space but it feels safer to me? Gives me a couple spots for pots, plus a way to climb out if needed (and spaces for the skimmer and a deeper spot for a future skimmer if we ever upgrade).

Maybe I should reduce the shelves though? I can't go all the way to the edge because the original owners used cement and blocks that go out several inches from the edge - so the top shelf is not really optional.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I hate that the shelves take up so much space but it feels safer to me? Gives me a couple spots for pots,
It's best to put your plants on the shelves without pots and without soil.
It gives the roots more direct contact with the nutrient rich water, plus the roots are not limited to the constricting pots.

You can use planting bags that are porous or you can just cover the roots with gravel for support.
Planting bags can be bought or made.

A lot of us use plain clay based kitty litter instead of soil. The cheap kind without any additives. The clay is actually good for the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Love the pup. We have four of them. When I made my pond I drove around on trash day and collected carpet scraps for a few weeks before I put in my liner. It has worked great so far.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1. are you rocking the inside of the pond?
2. the concrete blocks should have the corners rounded they are often to sharp and Any 90 degree corners should be rounded both inside and out so the liner is not stretched into the corners and tear in time.
3. use a hand tamp to set the rocks down into the soil.
4. those blocks stacked on on the other i would fill the edges with some mortar again taking away the 90 degree corners or use a very thick underlayment
5. in the shelves if going to place plants like lillies in the pond dig out pockets for the pots to sit down below the rest of the shelf
6. what are you doing for a filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's best to put your plants on the shelves without pots and without soil.
It gives the roots more direct contact with the nutrient rich water, plus the roots are not limited to the constricting pots.

You can use planting bags that are porous or you can just cover the roots with gravel for support.
Planting bags can be bought or made.

A lot of us use plain clay based kitty litter instead of soil. The cheap kind without any additives. The clay is actually good for the water.
What I meant was if you use the planter bags that's where you would use the clay kitty litter in lieu of soil.

Ask a Question