What size filter do i need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the throws of extending my pond, it's turned out bigger than first thought. Size is approximately 4.3m x 4.3m x 1.5m, planning to have a mix of koi and goldfish.
There are a couple of shelves in there but just working on the figures above. What size filter would i need?.
The pond is double skin brickwork that will be capped with Indian stone. Any recommendations how we could include the flow and return pipes or do you normally just run over the top and in the pond. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

of course we would always recommend and upflow wetland filter, however that could be difficult for an above ground pond. ( I am assuming Based off the materials you are using that is the case ) so to give a size estimate for any other filter we really need to know what type you are thinking of using.

as far are return, it is always nice to make it a featur rather than trying to hide it, so if some sort of waterfall or fountain spitting into the pond is possible that could be nice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest i have no idea about filters, we previously had a small two bay filter with a UV attached. Any help on filter type and size for what I have described would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is an official consultation from one of the ambassadors of the bog (upflow wetland filter, so appropriately named by young Mssr @TheFishGuy !) brigade, since no one else has stopped by yet. Get thy self a bog! More or less maintenance free (you have to every so often thin the plant herd), esthetically better looking, much less cost unless you go hog wild on Aquablox, and gives you sparkling clear water and more time to sit back and enjoy your pond.

Seriously, search 'bog' for threads here and see if the idea works for you. You won't need any filter bays or UV, just a feed from a pump to the bowels of your bog structure. And you get a benefit in that if you plan right, you can have more waterfalls back to your pond, thus elevating your aeration ensemble!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1617489482926.gif
@Plugy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A bog would need to be 30 percent of the surface of the pond. And yes I too highly recommend the bog as I have to pads to clean backwashing or sand to replace. 4 years running and water is crystal clear the entire build is in the link below this post.

Koipen is more the site if you want canister or mechanical filters

Ask a Question