what size pump?

Reaction score
Today I built a skippy filter out of a 40 gallon trough from Tractor Supply Co. (the trough is 37" x 25" by 13 " deep.... it is a oval.) I used a 4 inch closet flange for where the water will come out and I used 1 1/2" pvc for the inlet. I was wondering, what sized (gph) should I used for this? I do not need an overpowering waterfall, I already have a Atlantic Water Gardens filter falls that handles the load on the pond pretty well.... I built the skippy filter kind of for the fun of it :icon_smile:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a Beckett 1100 GPH pump in mine. I do not recommend any less. Make sure your overflow is 2" and form a screen out of 1/2" mesh to protect it from getting clogged. I made a cylindrical shape that attaches to the 2" pipe.

Reaction score
Right now I have a 4" outlet.... I am not sure if you mean that it is the overflow? I do not have any other openings in the skippy filter higher than the 4" outlet so if for some reason it gets clogged than the water will rise to the top and overflow over the lip (which wouldn't be good). I do have a gutter cover fixed over the inside of the tub over the 4" opening to keep the scrubbers from flowing out. Do you have an additional 2 inch opening higher than your main outlet in case the main one gets clogged?

Sorry I am probably using the wrong lingo... I am new to the pond plumbing game :icon_smile:

Thanks for your suggestion.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Maybe my description wasn't clear. If you take a screen and roll it into a cylinder, then close off one end, then slide it over the pipe that exits your filter (On the inside), your filter media, will not block the opening.

When mine got blocked once, the overflow nearly drained my pond before I got home and saw the problem. My 18" Koi were in 3" of water.

Reaction score
Zoinks! I get the picture. That is the one thing that scares me the most, draining the pond by accident. Last year I had an arborvitae near the pond (A 'thuja green giant') that was near my existing waterfall and the root system found its way to a section of the liner that was just being held down losely with rocks and it lifted it forward to get to the water that was coming down from the biofilters waterfall. It lifted it to the point where some water was splashing out of the pond and over the course of about 8 hours the pond drained about 10 inches. I freaked thinking there was a hole in the liner somewhere.

Thanks for the advice..... BTW, do you use any Bacteria and/or Enzyme products to jump start your skippy filter?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Other than dechlor, that is the only chemical product I use during startup. it helps to jump start the anerobic bacteria. Don't forget to test the water and do exchanges until the bio filter takes over. Otherwise the nitrate/nitrite levels could kill your fish.

Ask a Question