What size skippy/pump do I need?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Almost at the point where I need to start building up the waterfall/biofilter. The size of the pond is 10'W x 15'L x 2'D with about a 3' high waterfall. According to the formula it should be about 2000 gals. I have seen the threads on the skippy rubbermaid stock tank type homemaid filters which I am very impressed with and I hope it would be able to work for me. The question being; What size skippy filter would I need to build to filter such a pond of this size? 75 gal, 100 gal bigger?? While I have you here what would be an appropriate size pump to filter something like this with about 3' of waterfall head and maybe 5'-8' of piping. 1700/2000 gph? Thanks for all you guys help. :icon_smile:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
*if its rectangular thats 2235 gals.... mine is 1200 and 12'x14'x2'.(round egg shape)
*When you fill it, time the filling of a 5 gallon bucket. mine took 40 seconds which means 7.5 gals a minute... time the filling of the pond and times it by the gals per minute.
*a 70 gallon skippy should do you fine but a 100 gal, better still
*youve got the pump size right

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
*if its rectangular thats 2235 gals.... mine is 1200 and 12'x14'x2'.(round egg shape)
*When you fill it, time the filling of a 5 gallon bucket. mine took 40 seconds which means 7.5 gals a minute... time the filling of the pond and times it by the gals per minute.
*a 70 gallon skippy should do you fine but a 100 gal, better still
*youve got the pump size right

Great sounds good, gonna grab my bucket and I'll let you know what I come up with. Cool a 70 Gal skippy should be good but I could always go bigger if I want. I'll see what they have at Lowes. As you can see from my rough sketch its not 2 feet deep at all points and I might even be alittle under my estimation of 2000 Gals. I guess you can call the pond irregular shape. Glad I was on about the pump size, wow I am learning something here from you guys. I'm a good listener/reader. Thanks for your help. :bowdown:

Attachments

• POND SKETCH JPEG.jpg
    POND SKETCH JPEG.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 355

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hit a farm supply like TSC (tractor supply company) for your stock tank. i dont think Lowes carries them but they stock rubber made products so they may be able to order one for you. or tuff stuff brand.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You are going to want your pump as far away from the falls as you can get it. 2 inches above the deep end would be best for circulation.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
hit a farm supply like TSC (tractor supply company) for your stock tank. i dont think Lowes carries them but they stock rubber made products so they may be able to order one for you. or tuff stuff brand.

Alright will check with the local feed store and also see if I can get it ordered from Lowes. Thnxs

Reaction score
DrDave said:
You are going to want your pump as far away from the falls as you can get it. 2 inches above the deep end would be best for circulation.

Duh what was I thinking. I know, I was trying to minimize pipe length and pump head by putting it close to the waterfall but then youre right, there would be no circulation of water at the deep end. Thnxs again :goldfish:

Ask a Question