What size/type skippy to use in my pond?

Reaction score
I am at the point on what type/size of skippy filter needed for my pond. I am new to all this so please be patient with me. According to the dimensions on the attachment what would you guys recommend. I am really leaning towards the 55 gal filter or the 70 gal skippy I have seen here mentioned. My question is would the 55 gal be enough to filter such volume or do I need to go with a bigger size taking into consideration the tubing length, head, etc. You guys can advise me better since you guys are the experts. Thanks

Attachments

• POND SKETCHjpg.jpg
    POND SKETCHjpg.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 343

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It has a lot to do with your fish load...Your pond is going to be 3500 gals
you will need more than i filter or one large one ..
I have 3 55g filters on my 4500 gals and it works well
1 150 gal stock tank would cover it also

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
and 10' of horizontal run in pipe is equal to 1' of vertical so if your running 18' of horizonta youve added just under 2' of head height.

Reaction score
Thanks Dr & Koiguy,
Wow I really have that much volume for my pond. I must of under estimated big time, you think. lol At best I thought I was at 2000 gal being that the pond starts out at only 1' deep and 1 1/2' in the middle and 2' at the deepest end. So I averaged 1500 to 2000 max. Okay, well I hope I have enough room in that corner of the pond to squeeze in a 150 gal tank or 3 55 gal drums. There's a place here that sells 55 gal drums or $20 each or I'll have to find a feed store, tractor supply store around here or see if I can order one online. What do you think of the pond so far? Thanks again

Attachments

• pond dug out.jpg
    pond dug out.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 345

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I did get the # from the side of your drawing... i added them together,
were they correct ?

Reaction score
They were correct but not to be added together. My text on sketch was confusing, the top figure high end is figuring that the pond would be 2' deep throughout the entire pond which it is not. So this computation is alittle on the high side because its really 1' shallow end then gradually slopes downward to 1 1/2' middle then 2' at the deepest end. Thats where I came up with 2010 gals. The other figure is on the low side figuring an average of all depths saying that the average would be 1 1/2' deep throughout thats where I came up with 1507 gals. If you add both figures 2010+1507=3517 take 3517 divide it by 2 which is the averages of both figures, I came up with 1758 gal. Is this more of a realistic volume or am I not understanding right? Need to get this right so I know how big a skippy to build. please clarify anybody chime in. Thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Interesting question from a ponder with only a 250 gallon pond.

My upper pond is only 18" and my lower is 30" deep. At 30" I can barely service the bottom without a scuba mask. I am glad now that I didn't go deeper.

I know a lot of folks like the deep ponds, I wonder how they service theirs? You either have to drain off water or neglect it.

Reaction score
I agree with you DrDave, interesting.....But to answer your question ctrgojo I dug it this way for two reasons. One, with it sloping downward from 1' to 2' will be alot better for water circulation and any muck ending up in the deep end. Two, having the bottom pond floor like this will ease in the cleaning process either with a pondvac or by hand. Believe me I have stood in the deepest end while digging it out and looked up to the ground above and 2' is really deep when your standing in it. I'm sure the koi or fish I put in it will be very satisfied. I feel that its not bad a size for my first pond 2000 gal thats pretty good.

Reaction score
my pond is pretty much the same, 1-2 foot slopped.
Honestly I wish I wouldve went with less of a slope, everytime I climb in to trim up the dead lillies I usually slip and end up on my rear.
:biggrin:

Reaction score
maniac, I was thinking the same thing. Once I get the pond finished and the algae starts to stick on the bottom, down I will probably go as well Lol. It will be all worth it though. Any pics by chance? I'm still working on mine but got it dug out already.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I worry about slipping, hitting my head and drowning. My wife is not always home when I work on my pond or watching me when I do.

Reaction score
I was just curious becuase in another thread I was talking about building our new pond and it was mentioned to go 3-4 ft deep vice 2-3. Im sorry I didn't mean to get the thread off topic :biggrin:

Ask a Question