What size UV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my filter and UV system as its not adequate for the volume of my pond (I inherited it on moving house). My pond is approx 7000 litres and in direct sunlight. I'm favoring the idea of a separate UV rather than a combined filter box/UV. How do you know what size UV to buy? My current one is 11w and works reasonably at best - I was thinking maybe 25w or 36w?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is just not the size of the uv to consider .For a uv to work properly the water needs to go into the uv slow .I have my uv set up with it's own small pump .I also have the twist one that is supposed to keep the water in it even longer since the water is running around the uv inside

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I had an 18 watt on my 2500 gallon pond with a pump that was too big at 3800 gph and when I needed it it worked well. My pond has apparently matured enough to not need one anymore though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 36 watt twin tubed Aqua pond UV-c on our own pond which does the job but I've yet to change the tube this year

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought my turbo twist on ebay 30 dollars with extra bulbs and it is an 18 watt from topdogg sellar not sure he is still on there and my neighbor got one from him also and extra bulbs besides I bought from cll pets on ebay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks guys, I called at my local pond shop over the weekend and had a look at an Oase Bitron 36W. Think it might be a bit expensive and bit OTT for what I need tho.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
As for that replacing bulbs yearly,that is true but is not written in stone. I ran mine for 2.5 years once with the same bulbs. They do lose effectiveness but they do not become useless. I also have big quality uv system in my house to deal with bacteria and I routinely let those bulbs go for 2 years with no loss of effectiveness. The higher quality systems use better components, if yiu buy cheap junk it will last exactly like you woukd exec cheap junk to last.

Ask a Question