What steps do you take to winterize your pond in zones 7 and down?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This will be my first winter with the pond so I am inquiring what steps you will take to winterize your pond. Please be specific. I have seen many debates about this and know what works for one will not work for another and every pond is different. So please don't debate each others process. I hope to determine the best process for me to attempt based on what each of you do.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All I do is put the deicer in and plug it in and turn off the switch in the bedroom closet until I need it .I check the temperature of the pond water also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We really don't do anything - I move my aerator up from the bottom of the pond to the shelf so it's about a foot under the surface. Some plant clean up - cut down anything that will fall into the pond, leave the rest - and that's really it. Our pond runs all winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm in 7b. Last year, the waterfall made an amazing ice sculpture during our freak 8" of snow in December!!!!!! But that is really unusual for here. The biggest chore for me is cleaning up the plants around the pond and cutting them back so dead foliage doesn't get into the water. It is especially challenging trying to do it while lying underneath the leaf net! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I cut down all my Iris and cattails to about an inch above the water level, disconnect my filters and sink my hoses to the bottom with my main pump, and put a smaller pump on my top shelf to keep a hole open in the ice when it forms.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Same as most. Cut back plants, make sure bottom is mostly cleaned and put in pond breathers. I use 100w heaters to run light and camera cables thru to protect them from ice damage. I keep everything running till heavy ice starts and then add 1500w heaters and shut down filters and drain everything. I only use the 1500w heaters for extreme cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In early autumn I'll cut back all plants, remove all off spring, clean the bottom of the pond very well and swap out aerators...using the smaller one for colder weather with air stones suspended a foot or so into the water. I also net the pond for autumn leaves.

I watch the weather and when it gets and stays cold, I turn off the filter pump and drain it's lines, plug in the pond breathers and cover the pond with a solar pool cover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I keep everything running except the above liner bottom drain. I have a waterfall feeding a 18 foot stream that dumps into the pond. The 100 gal stock tank waterfall and stream usually do not freeze solid. I have a heater for the rare occasion there is not an opening for gas exchange.
Trim back plants as they start to die back .
I will net the pond next month to keep the leaves out. I keep that up until spring.

Been doing it this way for 5 years.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pull my external pump, leave the lines open. Put a 40w pond breather in the two ponds with fish. I leave nothing else running.

Well also cut back lilies, sink them below ice level, around 18 inches.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I leave my aeration running the entire year, I do move the air stone to about 10" from the surface. I have it deeper during the normal season. I shut my small pumps off as soon as they call for freezing temps. I leave my stream running well into freezing temps, when I see they are calling for extreme long term temps I will shut it down. I just pull the pumps and lower them all into the deeper part of the pond. I cut my plants back and leave them right where they are all year.

I do leave a hose in the basement so I can top off the pond when needed, you will get evaporation during the winter too.

I did have a warmer year and had the stream on the entire year except for 2 weeks. Most years I leave it running into December / early January.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do leave a hose in the basement so I can top off the pond when needed, you will get evaporation during the winter too.

Ah! Good point! We also keep a hose inside the house that's just long enough to reach from the spigot to the pond for those midwinter top offs. Nothing worse than trying to deal with a frozen hose in the frigid temps at midnight... which is the only time you'll need it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All I do is put the deicer in and plug it in and turn off the switch in the bedroom closet until I need it .I check the temperature of the pond water also
At what temp do you flip on the de-icer and when do you stop feeding oh and for reference for everyone what is the pond size?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We really don't do anything - I move my aerator up from the bottom of the pond to the shelf so it's about a foot under the surface. Some plant clean up - cut down anything that will fall into the pond, leave the rest - and that's really it. Our pond runs all winter.
Thank you. What size aerator do you use. And when you say you run the pond year rou d does it not ice over? Are you in a warmer climate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cut down all my Iris and cattails to about an inch above the water level, disconnect my filters and sink my hoses to the bottom with my main pump, and put a smaller pump on my top shelf to keep a hole open in the ice when it forms.
Do you shut off your main pump and what size is the small pump I read somewhere that a 300gph pump prevents the water from freezing better than a 2500gph?

Ask a Question