What the Duck?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
That is what I do, I put cracked corn with a chick starter mixed in. They still nibble here and there but nothing major. All the lilies are doing fine. Besides I will gladly replace a plant to keep the ducks around. I know they seem like evil being in a pond on forums like this but personally they have been awesome to have around. They have been coming here every year since I installed the pond. This is the first year with the ducklings and it is a wonderful treat at least to us.
I cant speak for anyone else, but I much more enjoy the snakes and frogs around my pond, then the cheap fish it is stocked with. For those with long loved and expensive Koi, the pain of losing them to opportunistic wildlife must be frustrating.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My neighbor puts cracked corn in his driveway about 20 ft. from my pond for the ducks and turkeys. They eat it all the time, but they still love the water lilies.

I know they seem like evil being in a pond on forums like this but personally they have been awesome to have around. They have been coming here every year since I installed the pond. This is the first year with the ducklings and it is a wonderful treat at least to us.

Other than them eating my lily pads, I love having ducks around. They don't cause a problem at all, and they're fun to watch. Typically, I walk them away from the pond, but now that they're nesting I'll leave them be and see how it goes. (y)

IMG_7631 copy1.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The original egg was abandoned, however, she's since started a new nest and it's up to 6 eggs now. She's been at it every morning laying another egg.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
7 eggs as of last night, and this morning she was on it again and laid an 8th. She could lay up to four more. She chose to make the nest right where my pump access is as well as where it's plugged in, so it'll be interesting when I have to clean it.
IMG_9024 copy.jpg

IMG_9058 copy.jpg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I really hope they hatch. Now we have a bit of a wait to find out since she started all over again. Wonder if she will keep them at your pond or move on. You have any other bodies of water near you where she might go?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I really hope they hatch. Now we have a bit of a wait to find out since she started all over again. Wonder if she will keep them at your pond or move on. You have any other bodies of water near you where she might go?

I'm guessing she'll take them to the pond in the woods since it's a better source for food. Hoping I get to see them before she takes them away.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too, hoping we get to see some pix or else you will have to go hunt them down at that pond in the woods :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Best of luck! Cant get much closer to nature then that unless a deer shoots a fawn on your back lawn! Lol!

Ask a Question