What time periods are the koi most active?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I have been trying really hard to get some good images of my koi but the only time I have learnt that they are active and come out of the tunnels and caves in early evening. The problem is that the sun glares really bad on the ponds surface that time of day so are there other times I might have luck with seeing them all out and active? I got a few okay photos today when the pumps were shut down for maintenance (cleaning filters and in/out flow lines) and have included them in this post. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
best.JPG
f1.JPG
f2.JPG
f3good.JPG
k+t.JPG
k+tgood.JPG
ok.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
According to some research that I have seen, Koi are most active beginning at dusk and continuing into the night time hours.
At night, certain planktonic organisms rise to the top of the pond to feed. In doing so they attract various specie of insect that feed on these organisms. The Koi are, in turn, attracted to the insect activity as a source of food. I hear my Koi jumping and splashing during most of the night preying on tasty insects.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As far as taking photos of them, changing the angle can help with the glare. So will a polarizing filter. Just rotate it until you see the glare decrease.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
As far as taking photos of them, changing the angle can help with the glare. So will a polarizing filter. Just rotate it until you see the glare decrease.
Thanks. I will look into getting a polarizing filter although I think I have one for my 35mm Nikon so maybe it will fit the Nikon DSLR too.

Ask a Question