What to Do About a Caretaker for My Pond

Reaction score
I've been mulling this over and thought I'd look for advice from other pond enthusiasts.

I've got a line on a teaching position in Phoenix. I presently live three hours away in a small rural town. My home has a 5,000 gallon fresh water pond complete with two waterfalls, one fountain, and two bog gardens.

The bog gardens and plant shelves are home to dwarf cattails, water chestnuts, umbrella plants, water mint, frogbits, varigated water celery, and spike rushes.

I also have 3 foot long koi, two goldfish, and innumerable mosquito fish.

If I land this job in Phoenix, I'll put my rural home up for sale. The question on my mind is this. How do I care for my pond if I'm gone at least 5 days a week?

I've come up with the following options all of which have pros and cons.

Option 1: Gardener: I currently employ a landscaping company to care for my front yard. I could employ them to take care of the back yard. They could check the water levels and feed the fish. This sort of service wouldn't take very long but since they'd have to come by every day, it could get expensive.

Option 2: Next Door Neighbors: I have some retired neighbors who enjoy gardening. I could have them take care of the pond but I'd hate to impose on them for daily care. Since they're newly retired, I worry about what might happen if they went out of town to visit relatives in Phoenix. Who would care for the pond while they were gone?

Option 3: Live-in Caretaker: I know a young woman with a 2 year old child who has been looking for a place to live. She could feed the fish and keep the water level up ... but I worry about liability since she has a young child. I specifically worry that an unsupervised child could drown in my pond. I wouldn't want to be responsible for something like this despite vows made by this single parent that she would never ever allow her child to be unsupervised in my back yard. Having worked with this woman, I know that she tends to be a bit flighty and worry that she might not be as responsible as I'd like. Even if I wasn't found legally liable for a child's drowning, I wouldn't want this on my conscience.

Both the gardening service and my neighbors would have my e-mail address and phone number so that they could call me in the event of a problem.

The most common problem I've had with the pond have been pumps that sometimes clog. The mechanical filter needs to be cleaned out from time to time and when the water starts turning green I know that I've lost a UV bulb.

Of these three options, I think I'm leaning towards a combination of options one and two. I could engage a gardening service for the week and have my neighbors take care of the pond on the weekend. If the neighbors were going to be out of town, we could have a prearrangement where they call the gardener in for weekend care.

What do you think? What do you do with your pond and fish when you go on vacation?

My father thinks I should fill in the pond. He tells me that most people don't want houses with ponds ... but since I live in a desert, I think a pond with all of the green aquatic and marginal plants is quite restful. I especially like the trickling sound of the two waterfalls that are accompanied by the pattering sound of the fountain.

Ponds aren't for everyone but if I can keep the pond maintained while I live elsewhere, I think the pond could very well be the most attractive feature of this house.

cuesport

Pool Shark
Reaction score
To me, the best option would be #3. You could charge a modest rent (considering care of your pond and property). Erect a small (temporary) fence around the pond for your own piece of mind. You could rent the property out to someone without kids also.
Do You live anywhere near Yuma, AZ? My daughter and her family are in Yuma now, looking for rental property.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Yuma is over 366 miles away on the far western side of the state by California. If there's anyplace hotter and dryer than where I live, it'll be in Yuma.

Regarding the fence, I already have a fence around the backyard. I'm not putting up a 2nd smaller fence around the pond. For one thing, I've got flagstone paving and I'm not boring fence post holes in the stone. Putting up a fence would also ruin the entire view of the pond.

It's better not to have a 2 year old kid in the house. The pond wasn't designed with kids in mind. I worry that a little girl might reach for a conch shell and fall into the pond or that she might try climbing up the "stairs" that form the waterfall only to slip and fall and hurt herself.

Reaction score
A tempory fence out of chx wire would not require boring holes in it. Take buckets, fill with concrete and stick a pole in it. Better option than filling it in. I wouldnt want to think of the cost to pay somone to do it and your neighbors dont want the resposability. I was thinkinf of installing one of the wave detectors in mine as my GF has a 4 year old. They sell them for pools so that if waves over a certain height than it sounds an alarm. Also get something that keeps it full.
http://www.a2zpoolsupply.com/Pool-Alarms-Safety/Pool-Alarms/
http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Supplies/Pond-Auto-Fill-Devices

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Fill it with sand and plant cactus. Move your fish to where you are going or adopt them out. If you move back, the sand can be wetted, pumped out and the pond is ready to go again.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I made this copper fence when my granddaughter was born...
it makes it a lot more relaxing when she is running around the pond..it keeps her and my dog out...
The snow shot is to cool you off

Attachments

• gdf.jpg
    gdf.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
Mmmmmm ... that is one lovely fence.

Unfortunately, I really don't want to put up a fence due to the time and expense. I'd also have to put up quite a bit of fencing as I have two ponds as well as a creek bed.

It's simply easier to just say no to a woman who may forget to take care of my yard and her two year old daughter.

I've been giving this some more thought and am thinking of maintaining this house as a vacation home. The job I may wind up getting is on a Navajo reservation in the middle of nowhere.

Teachers at this school are housed in condos, duplexes, or houses. As a bachelor, I will be lucky if I'm assigned a two bedroom condo. I'll be even luckier if I have a fenced back yard. I can pretty much forget having a garage. Renting a faculty home would be nominal ... probably not more than $500/month.

It would be difficult to cram myself into a tiny two bedroom unit. My fish would have to be in container ponds. I presently have three koi that are each a foot long as well as two goldfish that are the size of a medium clenched fist.

I don't know if fish have buddies or not - but since these five fish school together, I'd be reluctant to break them up. I also don't think they'd be happy going from my 5,000 gallon main pond to 25 or 30 gallon resin half whiskey barrels.

I'm thinking of leaving the fish in their current pond but will take my cats with me. I'll come back at least once a month and would be happy to come back for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break.

Assuming I get this job, I'm really not sure how long I'd be willing to stay with this district. Had my B&B inn in Pennsylvania sold as scheduled, I would have used the purchase price to leverage an SBA loan to open a barbecue restaurant. I have an interest in slow roasted mesquite smoked meats and since there's no one else in the area that sells barbecue, I think a limited service restaurant where all food products are made from scratch could do quite well.

Unfortunately in this economy, I'm not sure when my inn will sell. Keeping my home would at least give me some place to go during the summer.

If I get this job and wind up liking the school, I might consider selling my home in Arizona after my B&B inn sells. I could always get a home in Flagstaff so that I could go home on the weekends. Flagstaff is 1 1/2 hours away from the reservation and if I ever decided to open a restaurant, Flagstaff would offer a larger potential customer market.

Of course if I did this, I wouldn't open a barbecue restaurant because Flagstaff already has several restaurants of this type. I'd probably open a dim sum restaurant or perhaps a Chinese noodle shop.

But first things first. All the if'n aside won't do me any good if I don't get the job.

Reaction score
I have decided NOT to take the job on the Navajo reservation.

I'm going to eke out a living as a substitute teacher and will pursue additional certification so that I may teach other subject areas. If I can diversify my teaching credentials, I will improve opportunities for local employment.

One advantage to staying is that I'll get to keep my two ponds. The upper pond is large enough for me to start my AquaFarming project. I'll have to install some sort of mesh screening to keep the tilapia fry from entering the creek and moving to the main pond.

Waste from the filter will be mixed into the nutrient solution (fortified with iron supplements) for the hydroponics tank that I'll set up by the pond. There's still enough time left for me to grow some veggies.

The fry arrive next week. By May, they should be ready to harvest, clean, cook, and plate.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Man i wish i lived close to you ...that food sounds to good :confused:

Ask a Question