What to do about food?

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by bagsmom, Feb 21, 2018.

1. bagsmom

bagsmom

We are going to be at almost 80 tomorrow! Forsythia is blooming. Daffodils too. All sorts of things are peeking up out of the soil. I'm torn about what to do with feeding the fish. When I walk by, they are begging like dogs! :) They have eaten most of the algae that had started to grow. They are jumping at bugs! I'm quite sure they aren't starving. But they do seem very interested in more food than what Mother Nature is providing right now. The food cycle of nature is starting, but not yet fully up and running. We've been in the 70s for about a week and have about another week to go. Then I think winter is coming back! What do y'all think? If I feed them very sparingly, would that be all right? Or should I just let them forage until spring is here to stay?

bagsmom, Feb 21, 2018
    Tula likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. bagsmom

sissy sissy

Buds on all my trees and now I have to worry about my fruit trees

sissy, Feb 21, 2018
    bagsmom and Tula like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. bagsmom

Tula

I'd feed them sparingly, if they're interested :)

Tula, Feb 21, 2018
    Dave 54, cas and bagsmom like this.
  4. bagsmom

bagsmom

I know! I am sort of a weather geek and the indications are all pointing to the possibility of winter coming back in a BIG way. So interesting, even though I only understand about 1/8 of what I read from the meteorologists. The planet and atmosphere are fascinating. Let's hope for the best with all of our blooming plants!

bagsmom, Feb 21, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  5. bagsmom

bagsmom

I think I will! Just about 1 pellet per customer!

bagsmom, Feb 21, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  6. bagsmom

CountryEscape

I had 72 couple of days ago, and my koi were all at the surface, too. BUT, the difference is that they are still moving slow, not rushing to get to me to be fed. I let the fish tell me when they are ready to be fed. I'm in zone 6a, south central IL, and we went from 72 yesterday to 32 this morning, and only to a high of about 35 today. Weather changed for the next 10 days, now highs only in the 50's. Boo ... a few days ago 10 day forecast was 60's and a few 50's for highs. So, my fish will have to wait. If I had 80 and then a week of 70 degree temps, I'm pretty sure I would be giving my fish some food. Don't feed them much, make them help clean up the algae that will grow with the added warmth and sunlight hours, but keep them understanding you are their best friend, too. :)

CountryEscape, Feb 22, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  7. bagsmom

bagsmom

I did give them a little food. They were hilarious! Totally excited and jumping up in their haste to get to the surface and the snacks. After they ate everything, they went scavenging over every square inch at the edge of the water, looking for little nuggets that had escaped them. Even later today, they were going over everything with a fine toothed fish comb.

bagsmom, Feb 22, 2018
    BarbO and CountryEscape like this.
  8. bagsmom

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

After two record heat days my pond climbed to 54F But we are dropping down in temps again, so not feeding. The fish are all looking for food, but there is plenty for them to eat.

addy1, Feb 22, 2018
    qclabrat, bagsmom and Jhn like this.
  9. bagsmom

Dave 54

Buds ?spring? what are you all talking about???, are you on an Earthlike twin in another universe next to that of our own to our ??? :jawdrop: it is around 2c outside with a bitterly cold spell hitting us next week from sunny Siberia brrr, "no talking of his mythical spring already" :whistle:
    @bagsmom I'd feed rather sparingly to start with with wheatgerm and garlic food pellets

Dave 54

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Dave 54, Feb 23, 2018
    bagsmom and CountryEscape like this.
  10. bagsmom

CountryEscape

Our weather has been crazy this month, @Dave 54, to say the least! We had 72 one day, down to 32 that night just last few days. Now it seems ... but I haven't checked the weather yet today ... that our weather is going to be unseasonably warm 50's for high and around high 30's or 40 for low. I'll take it. No buds on trees here yet in south central IL, zone 6a, but it won't be long. We are nearly done with the dreaded February, but I still have not gotten a good snow this winter, so I'm somewhat sad. I've had 3-4 very light snows, no more than 3" each time, and I always want a good 6" snow. Seems either we get 2" or 12" though, so I'm happy for NOT getting the 12"er! Some areas in my state and Wisconsin have gotten 4-6" of rain within a 24 hour time period, so I'm glad for not getting that as well. I've had right at 2" in the last 5 days, which is fine, more can soak into the ground that way.

CountryEscape, Feb 23, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  11. bagsmom

sissy sissy

All my trees have buds on them and now all the worry about them surviving is scary

sissy, Feb 23, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  12. bagsmom

sissy sissy

my fruit trees will really suffer my pear trees and plum trees leaves are green on the white plums and leaves are dark on the red plum trees 100_3322.JPG 100_3323.JPG 100_3328.JPG

sissy, Feb 23, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  13. bagsmom

Faebinder

Next week I may start feeding the fish once less than a handful. Bog is already started.

Faebinder, Feb 23, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  14. bagsmom

snoozer

I am kind of jealous of all of your warm temperatures. I am still waiting for the ice to melt.

snoozer, Feb 25, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  15. bagsmom

Lisak1

I'm in 5B too @snoozer , although a bit south of you. We haven't had ice on the pond for a while now, mostly because we got that big snowfall that insulated everything from the cold. So once the snow melted the pond was still open. We're predicted to be in the high 40s - low 50s all week so maybe we're done with ice on the pond for this winter.

Lisak1, Feb 25, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  16. bagsmom

snoozer

We are supposed to hit the upper 40's and low 50's also. There was a big thaw in January but the water was still on the top of a layer of ice and then the cold showed up again froze everything. Pretty soon spring will show up to stay.

snoozer, Feb 25, 2018
    bagsmom likes this.
  17. bagsmom

Patfish Ignore the mask and cape

My water has been over 50 for a few days.
    Today is the first time I have seen all the fish out at the same time
    I put some HoneyNut Cherios in a bag with a little garlic and crunched it a little
    I only gave them each a little bit but it was fun feeding again.
    They were all timmid at first but after the first one tasted the garlic they all got excited.(I think they comunicate with each other)

Patfish, Feb 25, 2018
    Gemma and bagsmom like this.
  18. bagsmom

bagsmom

I have lily pads up. Parrot's Feather is growing as are all marginals! Water Celery is looking positively lush! Crazy, even for down here in the south!

bagsmom, Feb 28, 2018
  19. bagsmom

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

My bog is starting to green up, the pond iris are growing a bit, but nothing else. Lilies still just hanging out.

addy1, Feb 28, 2018
  20. bagsmom

Faebinder

My bog is starting to green up too despite the cold weather.

Faebinder, Mar 3, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question