What to do when it freezes?

Reaction score
Well i know i will need aeration and a heater for gas exchange. Will be turning off my pump and storing it indoors, will blow the water out of the 2" line so it doesn't freeze, then i think i'll take my biological media out of the biofalls and put them in a tub and submerse it in the deep end where it won't freeze.

Question about skimmer... Do i need to lower the water to below the skimmer level? or will it be fine frozen in the winter? i just thought of this today. I figure it would be fine if i left the water level at its peak and remove the pump and water from the flex tubing and biofalls. Just worried about the skimmer.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Re: What to do when it feezes?

were do you live....i never had a pond up north

Reaction score

I live in Utah's zone 4. I do not use a heater I just keep the air running all winter. My skimmer is a portable one so I just remove it , clean it and store it. I also cover the ponds to keep out leaves and to create a dead air space. Has worked for me for years. I cant advise on the skimmer but I would think it will be fine where it is, they are pretty tuff.

clm

Reaction score

I don't have a skimmer myself, but I have 2 friends with ponds that have skimmers and large waterfalls. Both keep their pumps, skimmers and falls running all winter. I also keep my pumps, bog filters and waterfalls running all winter. You have to keep an eye on them for sure to make sure you don't have ice diverting water, but we've all been doing this for many years now and I suspect we get a bit colder than you do.

Cindy

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

It would help us a lot if people would go to the User CP, Edit Profile Add your Location

Many posts are asking for help and we have no idea where you are. This is a WorldWide Forum. You lose valuble time if your fish are dieing while we have to ask where your pond is.

Another point, with winter just around the corner, water (pond) temperature is going to be important to know when you ask for help.

Just remember this, your Koi will stop eating, and you should stop feeding, between 50 and 55 degrees F. Small Koi will eat at lower temperatures than your adult Koi. If you continue to feed below these temperatures, you will poison :twocents: your pond.:eek2:

Reaction score

Do you always turn the pump off in the winter. i guess everything works out fine when you do that then. im just asking because i never do. and im thinking about doing that this year to cut down on my electric bill.i have a little fountain one. i run also . i will just keep that one on that one doesnt cost me much. ill turn the waterfall one off. im just trying to find out input if that is okay to do

Reaction score

DrDave said:
It would help us a lot if people would go to the User CP, Edit Profile Add your Location

Many posts are asking for help and we have no idea where you are. This is a WorldWide Forum. You lose valuble time if your fish are dieing while we have to ask where your pond is.

Another point, with winter just around the corner, water (pond) temperature is going to be important to know when you ask for help.

Just remember this, your Koi will stop eating, and you should stop feeding, between 50 and 55 degrees F. Small Koi will eat at lower temperatures than your adult Koi. If you continue to feed below these temperatures, you will poison :banghead3: your pond.:eek2:

I'm not an idiot
Oh and look at my second post, southwest colorado between zones 5-6

Reaction score

Lots of folks turn off the falls and remove the pump (I do not). They put the pump in a bucket of water and store it in a garage or something to prevent the gaskets from drying out. If you do that, keep the small (fountain like) pump in to prevent the water from freezing over.

Reaction score

Ok so the little pump will be good for winter to keep it clean and enough oxygin

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score

Potchy said:
I'm not an idiot
Oh and look at my second post, southwest colorado between zones 5-6

You just removed all doubt. I didn't address it to you personally or your name would have been attached to the comment. I have no problem with that.

If you read my comment in the spirit that it was written, you would have known it was a general statement to everyone, because we get hundreds of questions from people all over the world that require geographical knowledge to answer. I have a life, I could easily avoid the dozens of hours I spend each week if this is the thanks I get.

If you want to get help on this Forum, I suggest you tone down your responses or at least read them and understand them before commenting.

Reaction score

Idont understand your responce to me i never even said anything to you about anything you might be writing back to the wrong person im totally lost with your comment to me.

Reaction score

Ok so turn off the water pumps and store them, leave the air going. Then I take the time to cover the ponds to keep out leaves and dirt blowing around. Also creates a warmer climate zone under the plastic thst keeps the ice the does form much thinner. Pics to come.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads