What to do with all these babies??

Discussion in 'Spawning' started by WhiteNoise, Jul 20, 2017.

1. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

The baby pond is coming along. I need to pick up a pallet of flagstone to do the fountain and wall surrounding pond but all in all it is coming along. (The bricks along the pond are only temporary as I am looking for a good deal on flagstone)

Installed a 1000 gph pump, A quality 2-stage bio filter and a separate UV light unit. I'm thinking this is all overkill for this little pond but only the best for my fish. (this picture was taken last night before I removed the old filter and replaced it with a outboard 2 stage filter which arrived today.)

Bad picture but yeah.. IMG_0751.jpg

WhiteNoise, Aug 19, 2017
    IPA and sissy like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. WhiteNoise

sissy sissy

I use a window screen with 2 people one holding each end and dip it in the water and throw food in it after not feeding fish for over 2 weeks and then use my net to push the ones out I don't want and pick the screening up and done .Those babies get hungry and flock to the net .Caught all my babies in 20 minutes even with a bad knee and they went to new homes .At least I thought I caught them all until this morning .;)

sissy, Aug 19, 2017
    Tula, Jimmy Gibson and WhiteNoise like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Well the minnow trap is a bust. I managed to catch 5 koi at the start. Walked away thinking more would enter the trap; came back 20 minutes later and all 5 got out. lol. Waited a little while and 4 more entered. I transferred those to the new pond and since then no more have entered the trap. Looks like I might have to try the window screen trick. Gonna head out to home depot and pick some up.

WhiteNoise, Aug 20, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  4. WhiteNoise

Jimmy Gibson

I feel your pain...... Been there done that.... Same result

Jimmy Gibson, Aug 20, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  5. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Well I decided to stick with the trap but used dog food as bait. Managed to catch almost all of the babies this way. Used a net to catch around 10 more.

Gonna check the trap soon to see if I managed to get any more through the night.

between using a net and minnow trap I caught about 90% of the babies. The ones remaining got smart and are now sticking to the deeper end of my pond which is around 5 foot deep. Might not get them until they grow bigger.

At one point I was scooping some crud out of the big pond with a cup and tossing it into the grass when I saw flying through the air a small baby koi...Not sure how I managed to catch him in the cup as I was not even trying to catch him. Took me 10 seconds to find him laying in the grass, picked him up and brought him to a bucket. He was still for about a minute or so then started racing around. Once I knew he was ok I then placed him in the new pond.....woooo I thought he was a goner for a second.

WhiteNoise, Aug 21, 2017
    sissy and Tula like this.
  6. WhiteNoise

sissy sissy

And just think you get to do it all again next year YIPPEE;):)

sissy, Aug 21, 2017
    Tula and WhiteNoise like this.
  7. WhiteNoise

mrsclem mrsclem

Even with the trap I made it has been almost impossible to catch last years fry. It doesn't help that the adults are cheating. I used Cheerios as bait and one female keeps grabbing 4-5 Cheerios and releasing them outside the trap and going back in and getting more. Are they that smart? and why is it that the ones I want to keep have no problem going in and getting food but the extras won't go anywhere near the trap?
    I did rehome over a dozen yesterday to a lady that lost all of her koi from a lightning strike.

mrsclem, Aug 21, 2017
    sissy, Tula, WhiteNoise and 1 other person like this.
  8. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

I did manage to catch 5 more by morning. There are a couple in the trap right now too. But there are around 15 or so I haven't managed to nab yet. The wife sat out there for like an hour and caught a few more with the net. I need to get her back on the job. lol

WhiteNoise, Aug 22, 2017
    sissy and Tula like this.
  9. WhiteNoise

sissy sissy

cheap labor HUH .;):)

sissy, Aug 22, 2017
    WhiteNoise likes this.
  10. WhiteNoise

cas

tee hee.... yep, you have to be putting the minnow trap in and taking out quite a few times a day.
    Sounds like you are having pretty good luck. But like sissy says.... once you get them all, they spawn again. :)

cas, Aug 22, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  11. WhiteNoise

sissy sissy

I wonder you paying her by the hour or for each fish :)

sissy, Aug 23, 2017
  12. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

I pay her in hugs and kisses. Works every time. She caught 4 more tonight.

WhiteNoise, Aug 23, 2017
    cas likes this.
  13. WhiteNoise

Tula

Well, my plan for this year's babies has changed! Each year I give them to a neighbor who has a 20,000 gallon pond. I ran into his wife this morning and she told me every single one of their fish died :(

Some of their fish were quite large and she said her husband buried them in the yard - about 70-80 and it smelled and attracted wild life that came to dig the remains up - ugh !!

I felt queasy just hearing about it and so sad for the 2 adult koi I gave him 2 years ago...the babies I wasn't bonded to, but I'd named the 2 adults.

I'm thinking he's not as interested in the pond as he used to be, from some of her responses.

Tula, Aug 24, 2017
  14. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

That sucks dude. I sure hope he didn't make them dead...as he tired of caring for them. Did she say what happened?

WhiteNoise, Aug 24, 2017
  15. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

A little back story: (long winded sorry)

I do not have a special attachment to my fish. Honestly I never wanted a koi pond. Back when I met my wife she had one of those little mini fish tanks and she had one fish in it. The water was nasty. I had never owned a fish tank but common sense told me my wife had no idea how to care for a fish. It was so big that it couldn't swim due to the small size of the tank so it would sit at the bottom, then float up to the top, then drop down again.

So I started reading about fish, tanks, equipment, etc. I bought a larger 50 gallon tank, did everything right and gave him some buddies to swim with. I provided Fred (the wife named him) a good life until he finally died. I spent countless hours researching, and taking care of Fred, the tank, the filtration and all his tank buddies. I spent more money than I would like to admit.

I guess I enjoyed it to a point but for me it was more that I felt responsible for providing that fish a healthy home. Sure it is just a fish but it is a living being without any control over it's life. I did what i felt was the right thing to do and that is what I enjoyed more than anything.

So after having this tank w/ Fred and friends for a few years (and after Fred died) I eventually said...ok I'm done. The fish are gone and I can finally leave this hobby behind.

Fast forward another year...I'm fish free and happy. Then we decide to buy a second house and rent out our current home. Well guess what? The new house had a koi pond. and in that pond was one koi. Over 12" long to boot.

So the process started over again but now I had to learn about koi ponds and though I had a lot of knowledge from my past experience; a pond is quite a bit different. That is around the time I discovered this site. So that pond was rough but I brought it back to life and of course the wife wanted more koi. I agreed that the one large koi needed friends so we bought a couple here and there and here I was again...taking care of fish. Though I admit that I enjoy the koi and I have not felt put out by the added work at all.

So then of course we decide to sell the new house after living in it for a couple of years and I can't just leave all my koi behind and if I'm honest I cannot trust a stranger to take care of them because I'd worry about their health. So I built a new pond back at my old house and just then all these babies came and I had to build yet another pond.

So I never wanted fish, but I have grown to enjoy them and I do take pride in their health and happiness. I assume they are happy the way they look at me. That just might be wishful thinking though I'm sure.

Attached? In some ways maybe...though not like I am to my dogs. I wish I could have a huge pond to let them live in but I doubt the wife would want that. I am already taking about putting in another one though that off-shoots from the smaller one I just built. Will it ever end? lol /sigh

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    WhiteNoise, Aug 24, 2017
  16. WhiteNoise

Angel

@WhiteNoise I am kinda in the same boat with you. I have always wanted a pond. Wife not sure. But we transplanted my wife's grandpas pond from pa to nj liner fish rocks and all. Even thought it's my pond it's more for her to have a touch of g-pa. A few of same fish. I also try to keep with sammys depression era ways to keep it going. Currently my/our pond is to keep fish alive and go from there and upgrade enlarge as needed. Mentally it's fish/function over looks/form

Angel, Aug 24, 2017
    Tula and WhiteNoise like this.
  17. WhiteNoise

Tula

My pond is so small compared to my neighbors....mine is 1700 gallons and he put in a 20,000 gallon pond, where they used to have a pool!

I always felt good about giving him my off spring, as they'd live in such a big pond. A few years ago he had a big heron problem and I told him if his pond was too big to net, to make a net, of sorts, from ropes. He did and it solved his heron problem.

Anyway, he retired a little over a year ago and has more time to pursue some of his other interests. His wife told me she's hoping he won't get more fish, just keep it as a large water feature.

I fret and fuss over my 4 koi and feel very attached to them.....and my 5 dogs :) My neighbor went to out local fish hatchery and spent about $400 on some pond meds, but they continued to die. I may have to take a little stroll over to visit him and see his pond.

Tula, Aug 24, 2017
    WhiteNoise likes this.
  18. WhiteNoise

cas

I wonder what caused all his fish to die @Tula. You will have to let us know if you find out.

cas, Aug 25, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  19. WhiteNoise

Tula

She said the largest fish died first, which leads me to suspect an O2 problem. This began during a time of high heat and humidity. They have an aerated bottom drain and a small waterfall from their skippy filter.

In my opinion, his pond worked for a long time, but his fish grew and multiplied....might have needed more filtration and O2. I asked her what the dead fish looked like and she seemed genuinely horrified by my question.:eek:

Tula, Aug 25, 2017
    WhiteNoise and cas like this.
  20. WhiteNoise

Sushi Prohibited

This is my first year to have baby survivors.
    I have around 30 babies that are 2 months old.
    With seven 18"+ adults, they share a 4,500 gallon pond with a strong filter, pump and waterfall.

At what age should I give them away?

How many can I keep without jeopardizing the whole pong?

Any advice/help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Sushi Prohibited, Sep 16, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question