What to do with Koi babies?

Reaction score
Hi all, we have had our pond up and going since last march. Its around 3000 gallons. We have some beautiful koi in it but I put 4 comets in it (I wish i hadn't). We have had babie fry all summer long. I think most of them are comet fry but some look like koi. Comets are pretty but I just want koi in there. Now some of the ones I think are koi are small like around a 1/2 inch , how will they do through the winter. I am thinking bout taking the little ones out and bring them in my aquaium inside. Will that work?

Attachments

• 2013-09-08 14.39.25 - Copy (2).jpg
    2013-09-08 14.39.25 - Copy (2).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
We have had smaller ponds and my bigger koi always have done good. Just wondering about the really little ones.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Beautiful Pond
They will do fine I a tank as long as it is big enough and has good filtration.
We don't get harsh winters here so are fish stay outdoors year round.

I think most here would bring them in untill they are a bit bigger to ensure survival

Ruben

Reaction score
Yes Thanks Johnhuff. Also wondering if some are half koi and half comet? And i have heard that if thet are they will be sterile. Is this true?

Reaction score
JohnHuff said:
Looks like you got the answer you wanted!
I believe what he is saying here is that you waiting until you got the answer you wanted to hear and when you did you decided it was the best answer.

They will obviously do fine in a tank now as they are very small, but why would you want to do that? I would leave them outside if your pond was built properly for it.

Reaction score
Our pond has very good filtration. It has a 110 gallon skippy filter with a 4300 pump and a 19 watt UV filter hooked to a 900 gallon pump, and we have had crystal clear water all summer. Just was wanting to bring them in cause they are so small and thought I could enjoy watching them through the winter. I have had koi get through the winter in my smaller pond last year but they where bigger. I will go into withdraw not having my koi to watch. :( . But of course I don't want to do it if it would hurt them.

Reaction score
By all means if it is for your personal enjoyment, bring in a couple. Out of curiosity, what is the current stocking level of your indoor tanks? In my goldfish tanks I give minimum 20 gallons per fish with 75% water change weekly. It would do the fish no service to bring them into a heavily stocked fish tank. Koi fry have been living outside during the Winter for what, thousands of years? I do understand enjoying ha ing a few inside for the Winter though.

Reaction score
I just have a 40 gallon that will have no fish in it. ( am giving the fish in it to a friend). I just thought bout bringing in a few very small ones in. Does anyone know bout koi and comets cross breeding?

Reaction score
If they are comet fry, your 40 gallon tank could easily handle a half dozen or so IF you stay on top of water quality.

Last year, I had fry in various tanks (koi and comets), and as they grew (at least 2"), moved them into the 600 and 750 gallon ponds in the basement. I kept 11 shubunkins in a 55 gallon tank, and it was work to maintain perfect water quality, and their growth rate was horrible compared to the ones that were moved sooner to the basement.

With koi, and their faster growth, I wouldnt put more than 2-3 into a 40 gallon tank IF they are now under 2-3" and you are pushing how long you can get away with it, without stunting their growth ...

Reaction score
My winter game plan is to get Koi to keep inside this winter to enjoy them. We could not figure out a way to catch any from our pond without tearing up the whole pond. We would have to remove all plants, lights and filters .All this action would probably cause a lot of stress on all the fish. There are several colors and types of Koi I want to add to pond and figure this would help both ways, my having some to enjoy and then adding them to pond next spring. How would you go about catching them?

Ask a Question