What to do with the plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Well, it's getting colder now (had to turn on the heat in my house today). My fish don't seem to be really slowing down much, and I don't have a water thermometer yet. But my water hyacinth seems to be dieing. Its all about half green, half brown and hasn't made any new plants in a while. The roots are covered with string algae, so I am wondering if I should take all of this out now. My water lilies seem to be ok, still sprouting new leaves daily, some older leaves are turning yellow. I have a bit of a string algae problem too. All was well then we went on vacation, and came back to lots of algae, although the water is clear. I'm assuming that all that needs to be pulled out before winterizing?? When is the best time to do that? I don't really want to have to play in the water at 30 degrees, but I don't want to pull it all out just for it to take off growing again. Does this stuff ever die! Lastly, what do I do to that water lilies to get them ready for winter? Do I just leave all these leaves on them cut them back down to the pot or what, I know they need to be in the deepest spot. Thank you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the hyacinths, if they are dieing remove them.
The lilies, once the leaves begin to die, usually with the first frost, trim the leaves, buds off and sink them into the pond.

We are hitting 40 tonight, my hyacinths, blooming and green will probably die on me.  From hotter than normal to colder than normal. sigh

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When you see the base of your water lily tubers you will see little tiny pads and buds at soil level. Don't cut those off cuz the plant needs those to make new blooms and pads for next Spring. Only cut off those long pads and blooms that reach up to the top of the water that are dying or turning yellow.

We are in gloomy gray, rainy weather right now. Guess we lost our 2 weeks of Summer we just had :sad:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you see the base of your water lily tubers you will see little tiny pads and buds at soil level. Don't cut those off cuz the plant needs those to make new blooms and pads for next Spring. Only cut off those long pads and blooms that reach up to the top of the water that are dying or turning yellow.

We are in gloomy gray, rainy weather right now. Guess we lost our 2 weeks of Summer we just had :sad:

Thanks jw, I probably didn't explain really well about the trimming in reading what I typed, finally not goofy from pills and stings.......lol

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks jw, I probably didn't explain really well about the trimming in reading what I typed, finally not goofy from pills and stings.......lol
So what are you goofy from now???? John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So what are you goofy from now???? John
Well lol, nothing right now..........in re reading noticed did not quite say the trimming right. But hang around having a friday evening drink will be goofy again..............lmao

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can you put the water lillies after they are cut in a bucket of water and just winter them in a cool basement? Mine are starting to die off one by one and are spindley...just as my taro's and elephat ears they are coming in tmrw sigh...awww fall how I know winter is coming right behind you...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes, you can overwinter them in a cool basement. They may grow spindly stems and leaves depending on the temperature and how much light gets to them, but will have a bit of a head start when you place them out in the Spring. John

Ask a Question