What to do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a old man made dry riverbed. Im almost certain its not water tight (currently filled with rocks). It was constructed like a rock wall. Rock is cemented in place to form the shape of the river bed. It is also on very even ground. And I dont have access to electricity. I feel that it makes this project so much harder.

I also dont need alot of fish but I would like to make it home to a turtle. Just enough fish to control mosquitos.

Its about 24' long by 2-3' wide and 2' deep. This is a generous estimate and most of the river bed is v shape.

Could I turn this into a pond?

My idea is to fill in about 6' of it so that the depth is 12". This will be my bog. The rest will be "pond".

Can the bog be the same height as the rest of the pond? I would just put a mesh with some bigger rocks to hold back the smaller pebbles back.

As far as electrical concerns im going to try use solar (panel, controller and battery) I would have it run 15 min on 15 min off. Ill also have solar aerater and one smaller pump thats not connected to the battery. It would only run during sunlight.

This is the pump I was thinking of using

12V - 24V DC Brushless Submersible Water Pump, 410GPH, for Solar Fountain, Fish Pond, and Aquarium (1 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IAFCRF2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hO-UCb1HPSXA5

It would only run at 12v so :
Operating voltage range: DC 12V-24V
Power Consumption: 5.0W@12V ~ 21.5W@24V
Maximum flow rate: 240GPH@12V ~ 410GPH@24V
Maximum pump head: 3.3ft@12V ~ 10.5ft@24V

Any advice is welcomed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on what you are really wanting .pics would help us figure out exactly what you are talking about .Also depends on your winter weather and summer heat and your amount of sun you get .plus shade or sun on the pond

Reaction score
If it doesn't have water in it then it probably isn't watertight. The only way to be sure is to put some in it and see if it stays. I would go to a solar web site and talk to them about the solar. You can get a decent set up at Harbor Freight. The battery is important and you should get a golf cart type battery and not a car battery. The pump looks like it would be good enough for what you want it for.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@808AllDay

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ill get a picture soon!

Im located in hawaii and there is no shade around the bed. I could plant some plants if it would help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also if my pipe from my pump runs from the bottom of my pond to the bottom of the bog staying in the water does that mean 0 head?

And is it possible to maybe just run the pump only during daylight. Or should I stick with 15 on 15 off?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

You can run the pump on a timer. I would run it all day, if it can support that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If it’s not water tight, you’ll have to either use a liner, or other product to make it water tight. Multiple layers of marine grade epoxy might maybe work if you don’t like the look of a liner. It has to be marine grade though, be sure it’s fish safe!
As for a turtle, keep in mind, if it can escape it will. Must don’t do well catching such small bugs once they get bigger, at least not ones I know of in my area. And it will need a place to bask out of the water. Perhaps you can get local fish? Something that stays small? Stick to native species though, if there’s any chance of them getting washed out in heavy rains and storms.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.

My plan is to use a liner. I assume 45 mil is the best?
Do you have an opinion on joining liner with one of those adhesives? I can seem to find one in my size.

The pond will be fenced and the turtle will have grass/area to bask in the sun. The bottom of the fence will be up next to concrete pathway so I wont need to worry about it digging out.

Reaction score
If you are going to put in a liner you should take the rock out and then put them back if you want the in there. You should be able to get a piece of liner the size you need it. Try to avoid glue if possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Definately avoid gluing/seaming. I had a bad experience with doing that. Get a liner the size you need.
And yes, 45 mil EPDM is the norm. Stay away from a PVC liner. The lower price of PVC is tempting, but it won't last and you will have leaks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My neighbors turtle chewed the epdm liner in several spots .Not sure if or why a turtle would chew the liner .But that is what she said did it .Never saw a turtle do that so maybe something else .I just came back from her house .I am no turtle expert ,that is for sure .:unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice.

I went ahead with 1 piece edpm liner.

I also decide to only run my solar pump in the day time. The cost for the batteries will be too much. Maybe if later this doesnt work then ill add them

Reaction score
Country
United States

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mozzzika

Latest Threads