What to do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone know what kind or rocks these are. They were in the dry river bed and was wondering if I could use them in the pond.
20190425_122521.jpg

20190425_122509.jpg
20190425_122506.jpg
20190425_122501.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat looking rocks. We have mainly shale here, it turns to dirt. I don't see why you couldn't use them.

One of our neighbors just used block like that to make a real nice wall. It worked well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So finally got to taking out all the river rock in the dry bed. Its filled with lots of gravel so I still need to take some out.

I also got pics so you can see what im working with.

20190426_202507.jpg

Thats all gravel. It goes about 3 ft deep. The pond will have a depth of 2 ft.
The walls are cemented in place with rocks and there is no ledge.
How do I make the rocks cover the liner on the edges?
Should I just stack rocks on the inside of the pond all the way up the wall untill I hit the ledge and just pile rocks on the edge area?
Heres a pic showing the wall
20190426_202530.jpg

If you look at the first picture you see this part at the top.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im thinking the shaded green part (6-7 ft) will be bog and the rest (16-17ft) be pond.
20190426_203753.jpg

Also is it possible to raise the bog to create a waterfall? I dont know how I could do it seeing that the walls are cemented already.
Thank you

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also is it possible to raise the bog to create a waterfall?
Take enough gravel out, for the bog area, to make it 18-24 inches deep, 18 is recommended, mine is 2.5 feet deep. Use some dirt / rocks/ gravel to raise the edges of the bog area, making it higher than the pond area. feathered out so it does not look like a bump in the land.

Use rock to build a wall where the bog end and the pond begins, heavy rocks so they can hold back the pea gravel. Liner on bog side rocks on pond side. One liner for the pond and bog = less chance of leaks. Other piece of liner for the bog. The rocks a bit lower that the built up edges of the bog, but higher than the pond surface, = waterfall. A nice waterfall can be low, only inches and still make a nice sound and look great.

Or have just one big piece of liner for the bog and pond. Bog area build up edges like below where you want it to end and waterfall into the pond, stack up rocks to hold back the pea gravel, a big higher than pond surface would = a water fall and a permeable bog wall.

Lousy no coffee drawing.................black ='s built up area, green plants
bog.JPG

Should I just stack rocks on the inside of the pond all the way up the wall untill I hit the ledge and just pile rocks on the edge area?
Heres a pic showing the wall
I would not stack rocks on the inside of the pond wall, unless you want rocks in the pond. You can lay the liner in the pond stream bed covering the rocks. Have the liner come up and out of the pond. It looks like the rock wall, that is there now, stops below dirt surface area. You could dig a shallow shelf to lay rocks on the liner to cover the edges.
Red = rocks

pnd.JPG

Reaction score
And I need to make a rock wall around the pond about 2 feet tall. Has anyone made a freestanding wall using blocks made from retaining wall block like this block?

RockWall Large 6 in. x 17.5 in. x 7 in. Yukon Concrete Retaining Wall Block https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pavesto...Concrete-Retaining-Wall-Block-79850/204501689

I plan to use construction adhesive and fill in with gravel
I wouldn't use them for a number of reasons. But if you do then use mortar and not construction adhesive. Also make a concrete footing in otherwise they will fall over even if they are somehow held together

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't use them for a number of reasons. But if you do then use mortar and not construction adhesive. Also make a concrete footing in otherwise they will fall over even if they are somehow held together

What reason might that be?
Went to look at them last night and realized they had a lip on the back which is meant for more of a retaing wall and not a freestanding one.

I changed the wall to either this:
2ft high with cap

Reaction score
Country
United States
Use rock to build a wall where the bog end and the pond begins, heavy rocks so they can hold back the pea gravel. Liner on bog side rocks on pond side. One liner for the pond and bog = less chance of leaks. Other piece of liner for the bog. The rocks a bit lower that the built up edges of the bog, but higher than the pond surface, = waterfall. A nice waterfall can be low, only inches and still make a nice sound and look great.
20190427_072540.png

Okay I think I understand what youre saying. To me this example seems like the water level is above the gravel. Is that correct and are there disadvantages to that?

I do have bigger lava rocks I can use to hold the gravel back. Would I seal up cracks with waterfall sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would not stack rocks on the inside of the pond wall, unless you want rocks in the pond. You can lay the liner in the pond stream bed covering the rocks. Have the liner come up and out of the pond. It looks like the rock wall, that is there now, stops below dirt surface area. You could dig a shallow shelf to lay rocks on the liner to cover the edges.
Red = rocks

View attachment 120284
Advantages/disadvantages to putting rocks in pond? The max width of the pond is around 5 ft and planned depth is 2 ft. The liner i was planning to buy is 10x30. So actually that would only give me 6" on either side. Or I buy wider liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States

Can you explain/draw this two liner design? I was going to purchase the liner through amazon but there is a max weight of 70lbs and the 10x30 is 90 lbs so I cant get it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you explain/draw this two liner design? I was going to purchase the liner through amazon but there is a max weight of 70lbs and the 10x30 is 90 lbs so I cant get it
I was thinking put the bog liner in the pond liner = less chance of leaks. But then thinking if you build a rock wall to hold back the pea gravel, just use one liner.
bog.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crystal8899

Latest Threads