What to expect in spring??

Reaction score
Spring is around the corner and begging new to ponding what should we do when temps start rising and the koi begin to be more active. When do we need to do a water change and how much at that time what kinds of things should we be doing to prepare for the up coming season all advice is welcomed this is my 1st spring so I have no idea what to expect. I was looking threw the hole in the ice yesterday and could see all the koi and gold fish slowly moving around so I know they are doing good so far under the ice.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
As ice is still on my pond in Arkansas ,you still have time
just add water as your pond gets low
And let spring rains do your water change
you will be fine

Reaction score
When the temps hit 50-55 degrees for 2-3 weeks consistently, you can begin to undo what you did in the winter. You remove your cover/netting, you clean up the bottom of the pond of any leaves or debris that may have collected there through winter. You give your filters a good cleaning if you didn't do it in the winter, including rinsing or replacing filter media, changing a UV bulb if needed, kick on the filters/waterfall and top up any water that may be needed.

I don't start feeding until I get to 58-60 degrees for two weeks straight, because I've seen a quick turn in temps/frost happen and the fish still have delicate bellies/intestines to digest food if we get a blast of cold. I would be particularly worried of that in your neck of the woods. When you do start feeding, start slowly and just as much as they will consume in 5 minutes twice per day (and use a more easily digestible spring/autumn food). As the temps warm up even more, you can add more feedings and more volume.

Ask a Question