what to plant in a bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
ok i'll start shopping around for suitable plants,
i wont buy anything this week i'll just look around
pea gravel is quite easy to come by so i'll hopefully pick some up tonight.
the pea gravel will be contained in a tub which will act as my "bog"

i'll post a picture tonight to make it clearer.

thanks for all your help :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hate to sound like I'm criticising, but a bio-filter turns ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate. Only two things can get rid of nitrate, water CHANGES, (not simply adding water), and plants that use the nitrate as fertilizer. Running your water through a bio-filter, therefore, should not starve your plants.
John

John is absolutely correct. If anything it presents nutrient sources in forms much easier assimilated by the plants.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
ok i'll start shopping around for suitable plants,
i wont buy anything this week i'll just look around
pea gravel is quite easy to come by so i'll hopefully pick some up tonight.
the pea gravel will be contained in a tub which will act as my "bog"

i'll post a picture tonight to make it clearer.

thanks for all your help :)

I would recommend larger size sub-strate. Pea Gravel does provide more surface area for bacterial colonization but the downside is that the void spaces between the individual pieces of gravel is quite small and will clog much faster especially if adequate pre-filtration is not present.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow I was way off. So a bio filter is good before running into a bog since it makes it easier for the plants to assimilate and a larger gravel is better? I love it when I learn new things. I will keep these in mind when I rebuild the bog. Thanks Meyer!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to say the same - pea gravel is the REALLY small stuff. You want the stuff that's slightly larger... more, well, actual green pea sized! What they call "pea gravel" I would call "seed gravel". It clogs up really fast and, to me, is harder to move around once it's wet.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"#57 washed gravel" would be the smallest size that I would recommend and even here only as a 4" - 6" top dressing over larger size gravel or rock or, depending on end function, matrix cubes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
so i could drop a load of ceramic balls into my filter so improve overall filtration anyways? with it being of a greater benefit?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
For when it stops being gravelly? I don't know haha

Here is what I plan to use as my bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would recommend larger size sub-strate. Pea Gravel does provide more surface area for bacterial colonization but the downside is that the void spaces between the individual pieces of gravel is quite small and will clog much faster especially if adequate pre-filtration is not present.

When you refer to clogging, are you talking about detritus buildup, or root growth plugging water flow?
If it's detritus buildup and "channelling", then that is something that happens in natural streams, but water movement will eventually re-route the pathway via erosion.
I am not a fan of pre-filtration into a "bog"

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
When you refer to clogging, are you talking about detritus buildup, or root growth plugging water flow?
If it's detritus buildup and "channelling", then that is something that happens in natural streams, but water movement will eventually re-route the pathway via erosion.
I am not a fan of pre-filtration into a "bog"

Unfortunately, there is not a simple explanation to any aspect of an ecosystem, be it terrestrial or aquatic.
In this instance I am referring to detritus buildup. Root growth (a plant’s rhizosphere) may retard water flow but it will not block it. Detritus buildup on and within the rhizosphere can and will block this same flow.

A natural stream or river is not really a valid comparison to an upflow wetlands (bog).
There are major differences.
-A stream/river is horizontal flow, a ‘bog’ is vertical.
-A stream/river will have fluctuating water levels and flow depending on seasonal precipitation. A ‘bog’ has a constant water level and flow rate.
-A stream/river has the ability to overflow its banks at multiple points perpendicular to its flow during periods of flooding or if the flow is obstructed. A ‘bog’ can only overflow at the surface or outflow terminus.
-The erosion peculiar to a stream/river is primarily soil, which over time is what causes a stream/river to meander. Any erosion in a ‘bog’ will be on the gravel substrate and would be negligible. Organic substances decay, they do not truthfully erode.
-The organic diversity is completely different in a river/stream than in a ‘bog’. A river/stream provides the habitat to support those organisms known as “shredders” and “grinders” that provide the initial breakdown of organic litter. A ‘bog’ provides no such habitats and consequently does not support these organisms. Organic decay will require additional time in a 'bog'.

An upflow wetlands (‘bog”) can more closely be compared to an upflow biofilter. The major difference is size. In fact, an upflow wetlands (‘bog’) is in reality nothing more than a large upflow biofilter.

And just as the typical pond biofilter usually is plumbed in tandem to some form and level of mechanical filtration in order to insure a more efficient bioconversion, so should a ‘bog’.

Ask a Question