What to use to cycle new pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am setting up a 425 gallon above ground pond. In my salt water aquariums I used a shrimp to start the cycles. What should I use for the pond any products that you would recommend.

I am new to ponds but have had maintained aquariums for 60 years fresh and salt and coral.

Thank you for any help

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Bossman
When I started my pond I just added my well water, plants and a filter and aeration and waited for several weeks and then added a few small goldfish. From then on they multiplied and I did add a few Shubunkins and some other type of goldfish now and then after that. I never added any products to get things started on the cycling of the pond. Just let it do it's thing on it's own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would add plants and a filter for a week or two, then add a few cheap feeder goldfish. There are some members here that use store bought ammonia to simulate fish waste to get the cycle started. I'm not privy on how much to add, so I hope someone will chime in.
425 gallons is quite small, so I suggest a small amount of goldfish or shubunkin. It's way too small for koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I added plants, then fish, let them cycle the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I started my first pond I used mature media from one of my fish tanks to jump start it.

On my smaller above ground pond I use large sponge filters that I ran in my fish tanks for several weeks to get them ready to use in the pond.

Both worked well for me.

Ask a Question