What type of Check Valve?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Alright, it's time to start working on my bog filter, now that the weather is getting better. I'm using a submersible Mag-Drive 18 pump with the supplied inlet guard. I'm pumping the water out into my bog container, which will be above the pond. So, I need a check valve between the bog and this pump. What type of check valve are people using for their ponds? Spring, Ball or Swing?

I had a Swing on my fish tank years ago and the rubber flap got stuck in the open position after about a year, so I'm not sure I like that type. I can get a 2" PVC Spring Check at Lowes, so I'm leaning towards this one. But will tiny debris be able to pass through it?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have tried the swing valves several times and they don't last. I have actually drilled small holes in my lines going to my bog and stock tanks that break the vacuum and prevent back .flushing. It can be done right above the pond water level or in the bog. You don't lose any water and no worries about valves. And it's FREE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The only issue with holes, is that I wouldn't be able to back flush my bog. I have my supply line going over the top of the container, so to back flush it, I need it to be full of water so it siphons out.

Unless I figure a way to have this on a valved tee that I can shut to back flush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have the swing valves, 2 different kinds. They both quit working. Wish they would make something that would last without breaking the bank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have the swing valves, 2 different kinds. They both quit working. Wish they would make something that would last without breaking the bank.

That was my experience with the swing, just don't last. Maybe I'll have to look into a valved line off my manifold with drilled holes that can be valved off to allow me to perform the back wash.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why not go on you tube and ask pond hunter or pond digger what kind they use .They both always answer questions and are happy to help out .I have done this and they both are great guys .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Why not go on you tube and ask pond hunter or pond digger what kind they use .They both always answer questions and are happy to help out .I have done this and they both are great guys .

I'll have to wait til I get home for that, youtube is blocked here at work. I did go to Lowes and picked up a tee (1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/2") a threaded nipple and threaded 1/2" ball valve. I figure I can cut the put the tee off of the supply line after it enters the container and check it open just enough to drip for the siphon break, then close it while pumps running, then shut off pump and open back wash valve. Here's the design with this valve added.

I was checking out the spring check they had at Lowes and they took a little pressure to open and it looked like there was only 1/4" gap around the center piece that the water would be able to go through. I looks like it would get clocked and fail too easy. Guessing my design above is the way I'll go, unless somebody has a better idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Sounds like a good design to me. I have bottom drains on my tanks so no need to backflush.

My container didn't come with a drain, so I was gonna add a bottom drain, but was worried about it leaking. Figured this should work instead.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked up a check valve via the net, pvc, it has been working for about 3 years now. Will find the second one for the kind. As well as I can remember it just had a ball in it, floated up when running slammed shut when off. Is not real sensitive to angle of the piping.

I did have a spring one from lowes or hd, it failed the first summer, think I had a swing one in a previous pond a while back, it failed too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Excuse my ignorance on the subject..... I know what a check valve is, and what it is used for, but what are the different types of check valves that are available, and what would determine how/when you'd use one over the other?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Excuse my ignorance on the subject..... I know what a check valve is, and what it is used for, but what are the different types of check valves that are available, and what would determine how/when you'd use one over the other?

There are spring, swing and ball.

- Spring is just that, it uses a spring loaded disk. It takes some pressure to open. By looking at them, they seem to have narrow flow channels around the disk.
- Swing has a rubber flap, or at least they're the ones I've seen. The are pushed open by the flow and seem to have a full open port.
- Ball is also just that, there is a ball that moves up or down to allow the flow through. Not sure what the insides look as I've never had one of them.

My concern was the possibility of it clogging because of possible debris passing through it. I already had a swing check fail on my reef tank. After a few years, it no longer flapped closed, just stayed open. It was clear, so it was easy to see that it was shot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I always use the clear PVC swing check valves. You can see whats going on inside. I use 2" and never had one fail.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I always use the clear PVC swing check valves. You can see whats going on inside. I use 2" and never had one fail.

That sounds like the one I used on my tank. It was a double union clear 1" swing check. I guess from it being always open, the rubber just got disformed to the open position. I found out one day, when I shut off the pump and the water was still backing through it. I wasn't able to get it to shut, so I just removed it and drilled a siphon break just above the surface. Hopefully, my issue was on the rarer end.

Ask a Question