What type of filter should I use for 8'x6'x3' pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm so glad I found you all! I'm about to get my first little pond up and running. I was thinking about a pressurized w/uv filter but then I read some posts on here that DOC's were much better/easier/more reliable. I researched how to build one and found Skippy's site. Looks like something I could do. I just have questions about how do you keep it from freezing in the winter? Also, I'm not sure I quite understand the way it works. Does the water flow into the top, through filter material, and out the hose at the bottom of container?
Or would the small pressurized filter be enough for my tiny pond?
I will have a few plants and hope to add some fish next spring. Thinking I'll start cheap with some plain old goldfish until I know I'm not going to kill them. :\
Thanks for your help!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

What size is your pond and how deep is it? Is it a liner pond or a pre-form? Where do you live and what kind of weather do you usually have there -- since you mentioned freezing?

What are your eventual plans for fish? Just goldfish, koi?

Most of us on here, well, I say most of us.....have some sort of DIY filter. There are pros & cons for just about any type, including presurized. I have a Skippy and a amall bog. In the Skippy- type, it's called an up-flow, water is pumped into the bottom where the water flows UPward through filter media and out, usually via a wier of some kind (think waterfall).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The best thing you can do for your pond is to UNDERSTOCK it. (very few fish)
Then you can get away with minimal filtration, if any.
Welcome, btw.(y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
build your own from a small stock tank 8x6 by 3 ft deep it would work great on .lava rock works great in filters .my filter and my other filter

Attachments

• pond lose or plants 2015 018.JPG
    pond lose or plants 2015 018.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 240
  • pond lose or plants 2015 032.JPG
    pond lose or plants 2015 032.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 277
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a liner. Not preformed. It's more for looks than fish but I would love to have a couple of fish in there.
I really wanted to keep my filtration method as small as possible so as to not detract from the waterwall. The wier would not work with the way I have made the waterwall either.
However, can the DOC filter be set INTO the ground and the wier flow over edge of pond or does this type filter have to be higher than the top of pond?
I live in the Texas panhandle and we do have hard freezing with some below zero weather on occasion.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Biofiltration is not necessary if you don't have fish. If you do add fish in the future then you will need it.
Most any type of biofiltration will work providing it is large enough to handle the pond's fish load.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could use a a vase type filter .1 of those big fiberglass ones on it's side with a hole drilled in the end and your pump hose fit inside it tight and running through lava rock .Pecan on here has them in one of the smaller ponds .I think his are ceramic but fiberglass ones are really cheap right now for end of season .You could even stand it up right in the pond and let the water run up the center and fill with lava rock or pea gravel

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought this at lowes and stood up in a pond on top of a block in the pond would make a pretty focal point

Attachments

• my flower pots 001.JPG
    my flower pots 001.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 244

Ask a Question