What, where and how?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can someone please tell me how to glue a rubber liner to a rubbermaid stock tank as part of the waterfall weir. Meaning i want to cut a notch off the top of the tank and glue the liner on as part of the overflow so i can create a waterfall. I forgot to mention, the stock tank will be the bog filter. Thank you

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just gluing it won’t work, you need to clamp it on with som3 type of strip, drilling it out and bolting it on. Adding silicone in between, once tightened it will create a water tight seal similar to the lip on the premade waterfall filters. You could probably even try to source the lip part of a waterfall filter or try to make your own.

You could try marinegoop or something but usually trying to adhere two different materials together without clamping it together doesn’t work as they expand and contract at different rates causing the adhesive to come apart.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Though it says rubber maid i don't believe they are rubber in any way . I would think they are a type of plastic which one i have no idea, and that is critical as plastics are not all created the same. and if your trying to glue the rubber epdm to the plastic rubber made those are two different materials i doubt anything will work al that great will the epdm primer/gue and a double sided take do the job it's possible. It's a dyi project that's going a little too far outside the box maybe.

me i'd go with a liner and i know that will work .. and i bet the rubber is cheaper than a preformed

Will a standard pvc cement work i have no idea i doubt it's a pvc.

Could a solvent like what is used on plexi glass be the answer . can't say there either

Maybe a polyurethane glue i doubt it, those need to be able to soak into the material.

I WOULD TRY THE SOLVENTS. YOU'LL KNOW FAST ENOUGH IF IT IS going to work it will set in a couple minutes. https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Acrylic...8769e&pd_rd_wg=XeGjO&pd_rd_i=B0149IG548&psc=1

The other option i'd try is something like this stuff but it is not easy to work with if it's a vertical edge

https://www.amazon.com/HG-POWER-GLUE-cyanoacrylate-Woodworking/dp/B07BQ1N98B/ref=sxin_13_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?adgrpid=1334807687294228&cv_ct_cx=glue+rubber+plastic&hvadid=83425720762645&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=44767&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-83425839969561%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=29108_14571304&keywords=glue+rubber+plastic&pd_rd_i=B07BQ1N98B&pd_rd_r=abf906c7-6087-4dc7-b98f-c5ac6c7c7dce&pd_rd_w=RT86V&pd_rd_wg=FMlFC&pf_rd_p=277e850d-e5af-4753-a716-a3e99085c62d&pf_rd_r=JV0XN6B4Q3MQYAMWYD0Y&qid=1646009187&sr=1-4-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySTU4V1g5NVBLTVhYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDAxNTk5MlhJNkhCNjlGT0RTWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjMwMzIwRk1FSFZWV1hVSDBRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3Bfc2VhcmNoX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just gluing it won’t work, you need to clamp it on with som3 type of strip, drilling it out and bolting it on. Adding silicone in between, once tightened it will create a water tight seal similar to the lip on the premade waterfall filters. You could probably even try to source the lip part of a waterfall filter or try to make your own.

You could try marinegoop or something but usually trying to adhere two different materials together without clamping it together doesn’t work as they expand and contract at different rates causing the adhesive to come apart.
Thank you for your help.
Though it says rubber maid i don't believe they are rubber in any way . I would think they are a type of plastic which one i have no idea, and that is critical as plastics are not all created the same. and if your trying to glue the rubber epdm to the plastic rubber made those are two different materials i doubt anything will work al that great will the epdm primer/gue and a double sided take do the job it's possible. It's a dyi project that's going a little too far outside the box maybe.

me i'd go with a liner and i know that will work .. and i bet the rubber is cheaper than a preformed

Will a standard pvc cement work i have no idea i doubt it's a pvc.

Could a solvent like what is used on plexi glass be the answer . can't say there either

Maybe a polyurethane glue i doubt it, those need to be able to soak into the material.

I WOULD TRY THE SOLVENTS. YOU'LL KNOW FAST ENOUGH IF IT IS going to work it will set in a couple minutes. https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Acrylic...8769e&pd_rd_wg=XeGjO&pd_rd_i=B0149IG548&psc=1

The other option i'd try is something like this stuff but it is not easy to work with if it's a vertical edge

Yes, I never said the container was made of rubber and only said its brand name. I probably shouldve given more details. This is for an existing pond using epdm 45 mil liner. My filtration system for the past 6 years has been a 5 gal square bucket with the various filter media. And it also doubled as my waterfall weir. However, I found myself having to clean the filter from the pump twice a week and i cleaned the "bio filter"/ waterfall weir about every 3 months. I wanted to try something different so i decided to add a bog filter to my pond. My plan is to disassemble the current waterfall and integrate this 150gal rubbermaid stock tank as the bog filter. My inquiry was only for advice on how to attach the liner to the tank and how to make it watertight. You mentioned having to bolt it on. That sounds like a possibility but id like to ask you what material would you recommend to use as the strips that the liner will be sandwiched in between and bolted to the stock tank

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with @Jhn . a termination strip that squeezes a silicone bead is the best bet with unlike materials there's always a problem

I'd got with stainless nuts and bolts with washers. and a stainless or some ridgid plastic or resin strips to squeeze that silicone bead. you have to be careful that you don't tighten so much you remove all the silicone out from between

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with @Jhn . a termination strip that squeezes a silicone bead is the best bet with unlike materials there's always a problem

I'd got with stainless nuts and bolts with washers. and a stainless or some ridgid plastic or resin strips to squeeze that silicone bead. you have to be careful that you don't tighten so much you remove all the silicone out from between
Ok so i take it there is no product in the market that is specifically used as a "reinforcement strip". And instead I'll just have to make it myself out of whatever material suitable for this application. Thank you for your advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok so i take it there is no product in the market that is specifically used as a "reinforcement strip". And instead I'll just have to make it myself out of whatever material suitable for this application. Thank you for your advice

I think what you're talking about is often called a termination bar. Any bar with closely spaced holes could do the trick. Never seen a rigid plastic one on a shelf anywhere, but that would be a good DIY solution. If metal, you do want stainless since it will be in constant water contact and failure = leak.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe consider using pvc pipe instead of a weir. I have the same tank as a bog and used 4"pvc pipe with a threaded fitting. I used PL roof cement around the pipe and it is water tight 2 years. Not sure where you are located but make sure the stock tank is sitting on the ground and not elevated. I have had 2 tanks crack in exactly the same place. Both tanks were set p on concrete blocks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thing is leave extra liner because if it fails now or later you will need that extra liner to fix the problem .Leave enough up to the tank so you can pull up more . Plus tanks settle and shift in dirt and critters can undermine them and so can roots from plants . The never forget that the tank can crack or get damaged . MURPHY'S LAW IF ANYTHING CAN GO WRONG IT WILL . I KNOW IT WELL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used pvc in my stock tanks and it has not leaked since I did it back in 2012 . I used rubber type stock tanks not the hard plastic looking ones ,I used tuff stuff tanks 2 100 gallon ones . I pulled the rocks back to expose them and used elbows inside to make sure the water comes up from the bottom and not the top of the stock tank . stock tank adapters with rubber gaskets on each side and I never used roofing goop on the adapter once they are screwed on tight they don't leak with the rubber gasket on the outside and inside of the stock tank adapter . been years now and no leaks . It does take some time in the plumbing department to get all the fittings . Even my pvc fittings are not glued together

Attachments

• DSC03155.JPG
    DSC03155.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC03167.JPG
    DSC03167.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03195.JPG
    DSC03195.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh there is your just paying for them to drill the holes for you. any roofing supply house has them . they are used all the time in rubber roofing particuraly on say a parapit wall where the rubber just comes up the wall say 30" and stop. they then slap some tar or sealer and then secure through the rubber into the wall with screws. you'd need nuts and bolts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe consider using pvc pipe instead of a weir. I have the same tank as a bog and used 4"pvc pipe with a threaded fitting. I used PL roof cement around the pipe and it is water tight 2 years. Not sure where you are located but make sure the stock tank is sitting on the ground and not elevated. I have had 2 tanks crack in exactly the same place. Both tanks were set p on concrete blocks.
Whoa!! Thank you for the heads up on that mrsclem. I was actually planning on placing it on top of 6 concrete pavers spaced evenly. Where did the cracks occur on the tank? Just curious.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Whoa!! Thank you for the heads up on that mrsclem. I was actually planning on placing it on top of 6 concrete pavers spaced evenly. Where did the cracks occur on the tank? Just curious.
Cracks were along the curves toward the middle of the tanks.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure exactly why, it seems like that is a weak point in the tanks. I now make sure they are flat on level ground.

Ask a Question